Poloniex - Hard fork

Is Poloniex supporting the new GRIN wallet / fork? I do not see any announcement. I am assuming it would be safe to hold some GRIN in Poloniex during the update.

1 Like

I strongly expect them to support it, but that’s just my own opinion. No inside info.

How would it not be safe? It’s not like you’re going to lose your coins, you just wouldn’t be able to send them from Polo until they upgrade.

1 Like

Why take the risk? After all, it is never safe to keep coins on an exchange least of all during a network upgrade. You can always redeposit afterwards if you like, once they have confirmed they are on the correct fork.

1 Like

I sent Poloniex a support query about this and got the following reply:

****** (Poloniex)

28 Jun, 12:07 am IST

Hi xxxxxx,

You are correct we are planning to upgrade to v2, until then we are running v1.0.3. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience in the mean time.

If you have any other questions about your account or feedback about our product, don’t hesitate to reach back out. We’d be happy to hear from you!

xxxxxx - Team Circle

1 Like

Translation: “Until we upgrade to the required version, we will run the depecrated version.”

Without a time frame, their response means absolutely nothing.

1 Like

Does this still mean that any GRIN held on the exchange is safe until they upgrade?

2 Likes

In theory, it should mean that. In practice, no cryptocurrency is ever safe on any exchange.

1 Like

The fork will make no difference to your Grin’s on their exchange. You just won’t beable to get them off until they upgrade to V2( which should happen prior to the fork).

1 Like

Yeah, it’s non-committal on timeframe but there is a stated intention to update. Surely it’s not in their interest not to do it in a timely fashion if they want to maintain an exchange mrkt for Grin not to mention the dealing with a load of pissed off clients trying to recover their Grin? If more people pester them it may help to expedite…

Here’s what I sent them, for context:
Hi there,
I am able to withdraw GRIN to my wallet from Poloniex but can’t send GRIN in the other direction i.e. deposit form the wallet to Poloniex. Apparently the issue is that Poloniex does not support the latest release of GRIN (1.1.0). Is this likely to be resolved anytime soon? FYI the first hard fork of GRIN is scheduled for mid-July when 2.0.0 will be released so maybe at that point Poloniex would update support for the latest version? thanks, xxxxxx

2 Likes

Dude, Pestering them is fine an all but my 2 cents on the issue:

• Grin 2.0.0 is already released (since the 1st July 2019)
  • It is completely reasonable for exchanges to run 1.1.0 until the hard fork since that is compatible with V0,V1 & V2. If they upgrade now to 2.0.0, then I will imagine they will have a ton load of support tickets since people & other exchanges still run earlier versions and 2.0.0 is only compatible with V2. (Basically anyone with V0 & V1 slates will open tickets). Hence it’s best that exchanges run 1.1.0 to minimize issues until everyone is forced to upgrade to 2.0.0 during the hard fork on the 17th July.

I disagree with pestering exchanges who have taken the best course of action. It will serve no constructive purpose in this case at all

3 Likes

Can’t see how an exchange will not upgrade to 2.0.0 on the 17th July 2019 once hard fork occurs. All users/exchanges/pools will have to upgrade otherwise they will not be able to do anything. It’s implied intention here. Not everything needs to be detailed. I agree completely with Neo. They will upgrade for sure on the 17th July or shortly after.

3 Likes

Well Kucoin has already upgraded the wallet to 2.0

1 Like

Update from Poloniex regarding the hard fork.

5 Likes

Nice… there we go!

2 Likes

You might think that, but given Poloniex’s history of pissing me off… I don’t even have an account there. They’re horrible.

1 Like

Strange, for me I’m quite satisfied with their service as I am a regular trader, especially since Circle acquired it.

1 Like

It really depends when you used it, I also remember being very very irritated with their lagy and crashy site

1 Like

FYIs, I just successfully transferred 1.5 Grin from my updated Niffler wallet to Poloniex so Poloniex are as good as their word on this and have duly updated to 2.0.0.

2 Likes

Admittedly my experience is old, but after they freeze your funds and don’t respond to customer service requests, you tend to never forget that. I’m not the only one… guess Monkyy is OG too.

Hopefully now that Goldman/Circle has backed them, their whole system will (has?) improved.

1 Like