Grinmint Mining Pool

First, my compliments and thanks to the team behind Grin. I’ve been following (silently lurking) all the work that’s been done to date and am duly impressed.

Second, I wanted to let the forum know about the release of BlockCypher’s mining pool for Grin www.grinmint.com and our desire to help fund further development work using its proceeds. The pool is still in beta and we’ll be improving it over the next few months.

Third, the post that explains the background behind it https://blog.blockcypher.com/grin-mining-pool-47286f5e0b8d

And Fourth, we’ll be continuing our donation to YeastPlume’s fundraising campaign: you can count on us for at least 1BTC.

17 Likes

Thanks Catheryne! Dedicating proceeds from the pool to grin development is fantastic and I hope a trend that will catch on with other grin projects. It is exactly in line with the premise of community built software and that sort of pragmatism and initiative sets an extremely important example.

What will the pool fee be, is that decided yet?

1 Like

Hi Catheryne & All,

Noob question. If I mine to a pool do I still need to run a node?

thanks.

1 Like

Not decided yet, but we’ll be in-line & competitive with typical pool fees.

No, you just have to run the miner. But it’s still good practice to run a node.

1 Like

I have been testing the pool a lot over the last days and had some problems with email payouts when I wouldn’t receive an email at all. In that case it would be better if there would be an option to resend an email.

1 Like

Thanks @keno for trying out GrinMint! I’ll look for a wait to resend an email payout. Out of curiosity have you look in your spam folder?

I looked through everything in the end it just took a couple of hours to arrive. Apart from that: from a user perspective it is a bit difficult to understand how a password change can be initiated. (Basically I am just playing around with all the functions I might want to use in the future). Does the new password have to be used by all workers from the specific IP addresses which were used before or just by all rig IDs? it would also be useful to know which IP is set at the moment as a way of payout. Maybe the hash of it could be displayed?
Also it would be useful if there was an error check specifically on the website to check whether the same file is uploaded to finalize the transaction as sent by email. maybe you could check for the .receive file ending?
It’s also really encouraging seeing you being so active here. :slight_smile:

Does the new password have to be used by all workers from the specific IP addresses which were used before or just by all rig IDs?

Currently, you have to update all your active miners (active is the last 24h) with the new passphrase. However this is not very safe so this is expected to change very soon.

it would also be useful to know which IP is set at the moment as a way of payout. Maybe the hash of it could be displayed?
Okay this is actually a work in progress function and this should appears in the “Settings” very soon.

Also it would be useful if there was an error check specifically on the website to check whether the same file is uploaded to finalize the transaction as sent by email. (IP Check probably)

I just added that yesterday :).

It’s also really encouraging seeing you being so active here. :slight_smile:

Thanks, feel free to ask about any features you’d like in GrinMint.

Well this password update didn’t work for me yet even though the old password has not been used on miners during the last 24 hours.

Hey @keno. Thanks for the feedback. I’m currently fixing this issue along with displaying the password in the settings. I’ll get back to you shortly.

1 Like

Should be good know!
Password update is still not functional though but you can still see you password and monitor settings in “Settings” tab.
Next I’ll fix the password update and add the possibility to receive an email anytime your workers goes down.

Just to let you know that we’ve updated GrinMint with the following features:

• Password are now real password use to update your settings.
  • Settings contain a wallet field that you can set and update using your password
  • Your password is the same as before (IP or domain of your wallet)

Let me know if you encounter any issue!

1 Like

Hi, is this the right place to discuss GrinMint pool issues?

Yesterday I tried mining something from GrinGloldMiner and then accidentaly deleted my config which was the only place with my pool password. What are my options how to change the password now? Do you have password reset via email? I imagine I am not the only one to whom this will happen.

Also please bear in mind that the password is stored in plaintext on the miners. So it might be good idea to design security around this and instead use “email confirmations” (send temporary link to email) for all critical user operations on pool.

Hey @urza, this is the right place.
We are currently investigating a password reset function. I’ll let you know here whenever this is implemented. In the meantime, contact me by DM so we can sort this out.

Also please bear in mind that the password is stored in plaintext on the miners. So it might be good idea to design security around this and instead use “email confirmations” (send temporary link to email) for all critical user operations on pool.

This is definitely something we are considering, however we are currently focus on critical features for launch so this might be implemented later.

Also please note that we will likely do not require a password check for stratum connection. Meaning it’s only use the first time and you can remove it from your config file after.

1 Like

Hi! I’m testing my rig at Grinmint pool. I can’t process the Email Payout (while the Http Payout is working). I’ve tried on two Linux boxes running 2 distros. Is it my fault? Is it a bug? Thank you!

The TX file ends like this:

… ,“part_sig”:null,“message”:"",“message_sig”:null}]}

Email Payout response is:

mpp@slacki:~/Downloads$ grin --floonet wallet receive -i ~/Downloads/tx-a189867a-a81d-45e0-a3d2-73243f14d36e
Password:
20190107 20:45:01.943 ERROR grin_core::libtx::slate - verify_messages - participant message doesn’t have signature. Message: “”
20190107 20:45:01.944 ERROR grin_wallet::command - Error validating participant messages: LibTx Error
Wallet command failed: LibWallet Error: LibTx Error

Thanks for the answer.

Dont worry about my testnet grins :slightly_smiling_face: I was just wondering how this will work when it happens to someone after mainnet launch.

Understand, we are under pressure with GGM as well :slight_smile: Good luck to you.

2 Likes

Hey @n15e thanks you trying out Grinmint, are you running the latest version of grin? In the meantime I’ll check if everything is correct on our side.

Rust and grin are fresh. Git cloned 12 hours ago.

Okay let me investigate this.