Grin Icon Branding

9 Likes

Same, this is the exact reason why I brought up the idea of changing it

Totally agree, and evolution and hybrids and everything in between. I specifically think a polished fancy logo would be counterproductive right now however, as it would be somewhat incongruous with the maturity of grin. Hiding behind an acidpunk mask is smart opsec, IMO.

In order make a decision let’s look at every suggested logo and see does it corespond with answers to following questions:

1. What are our Values? What do we value the most?
  2. What are our competitive advantage?
  3. What is the main goal that Grin is trying to achive?
  4. Who are people that will benefit the most from using Grin. To be more accurate: who are our customers.

For exaple:
In Grin we value honesty, privacy and efficiency.
We are the most lightweight and private and simple (not easy to understand but simple) currency in the market.
Our mission is protect people’s financial privacy.
When it comes to our customers we are using segmentation strategy. We aren’t trying to satisfy everyone. We focus only on people who are responsible and understand that privacy is weapon for self defense!
P.S. frankly speaking this is my view of Grin.

To put it simple: let’s look what logo corespond with answers to questions above…

Please fill free to live your ansvers, ad correct me if needed…

2 Likes

We should definitely steal the BUSINESS NAME - YOUR TAGLINE IS HERE text.

For exaple:
In Grin we value honesty, privacy and efficiency.
We are the most lightweight and private and simple (not easy to understand but simple) currency in the market.
Our mission is protect people’s financial privacy.

Okay, I think this is a good progress.

I agree with all of that.

For privacy and efficiency, there are great options.

The issue I have been saying for the past couple month is that the logo that is currently on grin.mw and used on these forums corresponds too much with the joker look. The longer the admins keep that up, the more they are portraying Grin to be a very negative image.

There have been many alternatives suggested, but the admin of grin-tech and this forum change it, it’s going to continue to damage the Grin brand. Regardless of what great things Grin stands for.

From a marketing perspective, what we have now, is deturring away many potential people that may be interested in Grin, just because the creepy logo.

The alternative has been suggested here, but whoever has access to the webserver need to change the logo.png for this project needs to at least change it to the suggestion I provided at the minimum.

If the community wants to suggest a new redesign, hey i’m all for it. But currently, i’d bet that 90% of the people that look at that logo don’t know that the curve next to the mouth represents the “G”. More people will attribute it to a joker smiley face. And as long as the admins of the Grin brand keep this up, especially corresponding to this terrorist movie that came out recently, the more damage they are doing to the Grin brand.

1 Like

cf. Brent above - solves all the issues.

2 Likes

This is essentially a Circled Katakana Tu ㋡

2 Likes

WYT?

3 Likes

Not sure if I prefer ㋡ or ツ

Top right - yeah :+1::grin:

2 Likes

The typography could be improved but I like the choices fluffycookies is making - lower case (friendly) underscore after the name grin is maybe not necessary, maybe if it was animated to blink like a cursor, but not needed as part of the main logo lockup. I’d also find a better monospace font, the ‘r’ is awkwardly shaped in this one.

@brent why don’t you add some text treatment ideas to your grin logo above? These latest ideas are basically the same concept for the emoticon part… I mean this:

I’d love to spend more time on this, but wonder if there’s support for evolving the logo in the community? Maybe it should be put to a vote? I’d hate to waste a lot of time if it’s not going to go anywhere.

We had a vote already, definitely putting cart befare horse to consider it again so soon. It is definitely not pressing or widely supported community issue as most people like the current logo and even those who think it could be better dont see much reason to prioritize it now. Very few things matter less than the logo, and changing it now would be like changing the “unprofessional” name from grin to something slicker… would primarily confuse and distort our brand awareness. Only a handful of people out of thousands feel this is pertinent currently. I do like seeing new designs however!

I personally think the Japanese smile m design is goofier and more amateur looking than the current one, with the bonus of being extremely unoriginal. Making grin palatable to the lowest common denominator is not productive this early on, and probably counter productive.

appreciate your efforts, but the symbol is so damn ugly. It has the ambivalent gaze of someone who’s been smashed in the head with a brick.

it’s grotesque in a pathetic way, not a provocative one.

1 Like

I basically disagree with pretty much all what you say here 0xb100d !

Bitcoin logo was changed many times. And the first one was done by god Satoshi himself (the “BC” logo).

I dont have a strong opinion about changing grin logo, but I do think that if the logo were to changed it would be for a new logo that would do a large consensus and sent like a gift from god :smiley:

Current logo has its merit, it is very original, it does look cypherpunk, but it also does look provocative, and not completely balanced, and this is the problematic thing to me. I dont have anything against smiley logos, or original logo, but the really important thing is what the logo is saying, or not saying. current logo is provocative and mysterious, and doesnt make obvious that we are talking about digital cash.

not a huge fan of the logo with grin currency symbol (the chi?) but it has the advantage of being less “crazy”.

sometimes I look at grin logo for a few seconds trying to understand what this thing is telling to me ? what does he think behind his head :slightly_smiling_face:

when I look at bitcoin logo, I am just understanding immediately that this shit wants to compete dollar, and is a new currency, and say it proudly with no ambiguity.
that’s why buttcoin logo is great.

2 Likes

I have two other designs then, one of which already won a forum poll as the best symbol for the currency. If we are looking for something less smiley then please for god’s sake let us not use the silly japanese brain dead smile.

https://forum.grin.mw/t/currency-symbol-other-bs/484/29

Or

https://forum.grin.mw/t/grin-logos-for-community-consideration/155/52?

But keep in mind, changing the logo will not make grin better money, wont get it used more, and wont make you rich. Changing the bitcoin logo surely did not make it more popular or effective. Grin is only for cypherpunk nerds for the time being, and picking a logo that is supposed to cater to non cypderpunk non nerds is a total waste of time. Like redesigning the U$ dollar sign would make it more or less used… there’s zero chance. it is utterly beside the point. But it is fun to bike shed and bullshit, I can’t deny it. But just be certain we are bikeshedding and bullshitting and not making grin more likely to be used in any way shape or form.

no change to bitcoin logo at any point in its history wouldmmake it greater or less great whatsoever. It would still be barely used

Just my 2 GRIN (₲2)

2 Likes

Unfortunately already the symbol for another currency.