BEAM price higher than GRIN today

it is not aimed to be said in a negative or unfriendly way. It was a topic that was brought several times on keybase and here in the past, without much response.

But if it is not well perceived, then i apologize, I just do not know how to say it.

One time i mentioned an issue with kernel uniqueness and a possible replay, and it had to be repeated few months later with quite some insistence for some people to take it seriously and pay attention to the topic

I would prefer 1,000x not having the feeling to speak in the void sometimes, but it is difficult to keep full friendlyness when you have had several times the feeling to not be heard seriously, and often ignored. i am not even asking that people agree, but just to have some conversations on some topics, like the twitter topic for example.

But that’s it. I am not going to spend my life trying to say and repeat what i think would be good for grin. I try to think in a rational and positive way, avoiding to be blind on the issues. Many people say nothing because they have lost interest in this coin. It will never be good if the community does not bring idea anymore, and this is not far to be the case to be honest, we have lost a lot of members that became discouraged.

But again, sorry if it is not well enough worded, i just do not know anymore how to do

3 Likes

I have zero knowledge of tech or programs, 1st thing I love this project, community and I am with Grin forever. I have also been watching Beam from beginning and one of the reason what they are today in my opinion is their Wallet. They have been updating their wallet every time with new feature (11 times in ios alone), I think they got the best & beautiful wallet in all platform (windows, linux, mac, android and ios) among all existing coins. I am not complaining, Grin too have developed in past few days (I love Grin++). We should work more to develop a simple easy mobile wallet with basic functions for more adoption by common man with zero tech knowledge, ironbelly is good, may be lacking awareness which could be brought through social platforms. At last I want to say Price is not a matter or only matter let us make Grin for what it was started, I wish a great future in coming days for Grin. :+1:

1 Like

Niffler is a simple user-friendly wallet, well supported by its creator @xiaojay, albeit with very basic UI. If you can’t use Niffler, you can’t use a computer! Totally agree the project needs a robust, user-friendly, “official” wallet that regularly has UI/features added/updated.

BEAM Listing Fee: 0 BNB.
https://www.binance.com/en/support/articles/360033568792

2 Likes

thanks for sharing this. I’m a bit confused now why they didn’t list Grin yet :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t think anyone yet officially applied. Besides that, would you really want to stress out the support of an exchange so that you can get your coin pumped? I rather wish not. Let’s first settle some internal beef and do the necessary / mandatory things before the last HF. We might be able to make Grin a lot more user friendly and workable. I think before that point would just be hasty and most of the time people do things hasty it leads to failure.

2 Likes

Blaming the emission schedule is not a fair representation of the picture. First, until a few months ago grin and beam had the same inflation. Second, beam has also dropped in price the entire time but held off the magnitude of decline likely because of major developments. Lastly, the emission schedule is only one of many factors on price. If there was more demand, more use cases, more development, more real life usage and more usability (kinda ruins all the previous list) then it would counter balance the emission rate

2 Likes

Intriguing that the emission schedule is such a problem for many. I mined RVN and switched to Grin, fully aware that the price would drop most certainly in the coming years. My endorsement and expectations for GRIN are for the long run 10-20 years. Many times in the last year Grin was one of the most profitable coins to mine with high end video cards. Grin can be instantly swapped for Bitcoin in case of fear of the price inflating. So personally it surprises me that so many miners bailed.

Personally, I guess I am a purist, the 1 Grin/second emission rate was equally exiting to me as the Mimble Wimble protocol and half the reason I got interested in Grin. Not because it makes Grin a perfect investment target in the short run, but since the emission rate, minimal block chain and relatively good privacy, make Grin such a great candidate for real day to to day digital money.

Regarding the communication, I do think it would not hurt to have an active Twitter, and more important, Telegram group. Not that it is needed to hype Grin, just that it makes the community feel more accessible for new users.

@ken19983 You are right it is not good for Grin to be absent on so many exchanges. However regarding a different earning model, I do not think it is needed as long as the coin has a clear use case. I think atomic swap as mentioned by @Kurt as well as easier usage of Grin (which is currently worked on as far as I know) might make Grin much more attractive, giving it a clear use case as privacy coin.

I applied like 6 months ago. Never heard back.

1 Like

I see I overlooked some Telegram channels (GrinCoin, grincoin_NL, ironbelly).
So these are the active Grin channels for new users:
Twitter (which I understand is not actively maintained )
Telegram
Reddit
and of course this forum.

All in all, not to bad communication wise :thinking:
Maybe the council can look again at your application.
When I think about, not to bad.

I think the emission rate question has been beaten to death already and I am 99.999% sure it will not change. But the fact remains, GRIN is an undesirable coin to own.

Ask yourself this question.

Would you want to own (or HODL) a coin that TELLS YOU (by design), it will go down in value over the next X years?

If the answer is YES, then I guess you just hate wealth. All the power to you, buddy.

If the answer is NO, then maybe you should look at why that is. If it’s not the emission rate, then why?

You say – well, adoption will help offset the emission/high inflation rate early on. Well, you have a chicken-egg problem then. Ask yourself:

How do you gain adoption for a coin nobody wants to own? I mean, you got to give people an incentive to OWN it right? Why would you want to own any GRIN (for more than a few seconds at least) today other than to lose money? Yes, maybe you want to launder some money and hide your money trail. You could conceivably own GRIN for a few seconds before exchanging it for BTC.

If you want privacy features, yes, GRIN is great to own for a few seconds. Hopefully, in those few seconds before you exchange GRIN for BTC to obfuscate your transactions, the value of GRIN doesn’t go down much so you won’t lose much money from that transaction. If that’s the primary use case of GRIN, then great! Use it for that. People will just own GRIN for a few seconds at a time. Great for money laundering I suppose. But they can do the same with BEAM… or even XMR, ZEC…etc.

I agree that in 2040, when the inflation rate is down to something like 6-7%, maybe it will be more attractive as something you can hold without being punished by super high inflation. So as I said before, I’ll check back in 20 years and if GRIN is still around, maybe I’ll buy some then.

In the meantime, unless you hate wealth, don’t buy GRIN. There are much better coins out there to own if you want to invest in cryptos.

I still love the MW tech, I HATE, absolutely HATE the investment thesis of GRIN (as a coin/investment). I suspect that many non-purists out there feel the same way.

GRIN can continue shunning the investors and investment community. That means less resources for devs, less progress on exchanges, less awareness of GRIN, less people talking about GRIN – basically, less adoption of GRIN. Meanwhile, other crypto projects like BEAM who embrace the investment community continue to get more resources, more devs, more marketing, more help building their tech, build more features and build out their communities…they push further ahead, rendering GRIN obsolete. GRIN is left behind. Unless something changes, that is the sobering reality of GRIN’s future. Of course the purists will keep telling themselves and convincing the rest of the non-purists otherwise. Let’s see where we are in another 18 months… $0.05 per GRIN? Oh wait, but that doesn’t matter because GRIN’s price doesn’t matter to purists. Only to investors and others who might want to HODL GRIN for more than a few seconds.

3 Likes

Do you have any concrete steps you would suggest to fix the problems you see? In what way do you hope Grin changes?

@oryhp

YES. Easy.

MAKE GRIN MORE INVESTMENT FRIENDLY.

Whatever that means, do it. I suggested a less inflationary emission schedule. But you know where that discussion went.

Right now, GRIN is telling investors – DO NOT BUY GRIN. STAY AWAY FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! YOU WILL LOSE MONEY.

2 Likes

Changing the emission schedule now is a done conversation, and as I described the emission schedule is one small factor, so please understand all the factors instead of getting hung up on one of them.

1 Like

@johndavies24

Yes, understood. That is why I already said that discussion is over. I agree with you. The emission schedule will not change. It’s a topic that has been beaten to death.

All the other things I mentioned would help with price a lot and make all the moon boys forget about what they think “infinite” supply means

More demand? So you’re basically saying… “Buy GRIN. But it will go down in price. But buy it anyways. You can afford to lose some money” ?

“More real life usage?” Wouldn’t that imply owning GRIN to use it? I guess you can play “hot potatoe” with GRIN and buy it and get rid of it before it goes down too much… that would be a fun game for some people I suppose.

Makes no sense.

2 Likes

What moon boys? One of our lead devs regularly say don’t expect profit when investing in grin. We could probably start there.

Pretty sure all the moon boys died by now. We are down 90%+ still.

2 Likes

Pretty sure all the moon boys died by now. We are down 90%+ still.

The ship with all the moon boys in it was called the crypto Titanic. It sailed long, long ago…

LOL

2 Likes

Same question as I asked ken19983 before. Would prefer if the devs shilled the coin saying to buy bags and hodl?