BEAM price higher than GRIN today

I think some of the current developers joined grin, before 2019, because it was hyped, because there was a bunch of bitcoin OG showing interest and attention to the coin. I cannot speak for them, but as I could see, I don’t think they are against hype, but clearly some decisions have been taken in ignoring some down-to-earth reality and wanting to make grin too much pure, by ignoring the needs of its users, the need to build a good community that is proud and happy to use the coin and talk about it. The twitter, that has been locked by the council thus far, is probably a great example of this.

1 Like

Do you think a change in the emssion scheduled would be well perceived?

It depends by whom. In my opinion (and just mine):

• The GRIN purists and GRIN council would hate it. They will never let that happen. It would be a disaster for them. It would mean that they made a mistake (heaven forbid, admitting a mistake and swallowing your pride? good luck with that! chances are slim-and-none…maybe just none.)

• By the investment community at large, it would be a step in the right direction if the emission schedule were like Bitcoin’s. It would make GRIN a more “investable” coin.

Again, why would anyone listen to me? I’m pretty sure I’m in the absolute minority on this given how loud the rest of the community has been on the topic of emissions.

2 Likes

Community may have been loud when the emission scheduled has been chosen. personnally was not there at this time and still always think that it was a good idea, serving the blockchain community at whole, by being the only serious coin trying this emission. i ve always respected the decision for this emssion. for now it does not work and make grin life more difficult. if any change would happenm i think we could only think of doing a monero-like tail emission rather than a fully capped bitcoin-like emission; that would be more in accordance with the theory which says that we always need miners have some coins to mine that grin has always claimed to be important

1 Like

The twitter, that has been locked by the council thus far, is probably a great example of this.

You hit the nail on the head right there. Locking the twitter account is the perfect example of anti-hype. I agree that perhaps,not every one in the GRIN council or in the community feels this way about “hype”. But the ones in control and making decisions have made their intentions clear.

1 Like

Let’s hope that it will change. Making a coin without any happy community will never work. Having a fun, while seriously maintained, grin twitter account could greatly improve the communication between people around grin

2 Likes

I would be completely open to a tail like emission.

Even just a small reduction in emission could be great for holders. ETH went from 3ETH to 2ETH and suffered no known side effects or defects. The community didn’t shatter.

1 Like

. i ve always respected the decision for this emssion. for now it does not work and make grin life more difficult.

This is the whole problem with GRIN’s approach. The devs and purists are so worried about 2050 when they should be worried about 2020. It is incredibly hard to make a crypto project a success. Most don’t make it and wind up as stupid little sh*tcoins with a handful of users. This isn’t 2009. There are a ton of projects with good ideas that are vying for the same investors that GRIN are shunning. You need to gain users. You need adoption. You need all the help you can get from everyone (investors, evangalists, early adopters, speculators, miners, even competitors) and you need to do everything you can to get them on board. Include everyone…yes, even the speculators. And then, maybe, just maybe…GRIN might have a chance to have a decent following, a decent amount of adoption, a decent mining community, a decent number of developers (well more than 2 or 3 full time devs at least).

A lot of small and large investors spent money investing in mining GRIN.

https://www.coindesk.com/grin-launch-crypto-interest-from-deep-pocketed-investors

The report was that $100M of VC money was invested in GRIN. There were a ton of other investor interest as well. Those early investors trusted GRIN. They put money into it. They mined it. They bought it. They hoped GRIN would reward them for being early adopters. Early buyers. Early miners.

Well, needless to say, all those investors are long gone. They’ve taken their 90% losses and moved onto other coins. GRIN burned them (myself included). They won’t be coming back anytime soon. GRIN obviously doesn’t care about investors making money. If you are a GRIN holder today, you probably lost money too.

2 Likes

Well those investors knew about the emission schedule, so theey were happy to bet on it.
I am very doubtfull that those investors invested that much money as developers were struggling to get funding at launch time. Why the heck would not they have given one percent of this imagined 100million mining money to the developers ? almost 0 was given, only Qtum and Poloniex gave money basically. And then a character offered 50 + 50 BTC to grin, probably acknoledging that grin was the only potential coin as serious and meaningfl as bitcoin. Where would we be if it was not for this generous donator?probably no funding at all anymore. He made grin survived by himself. All this to say, the emission is what it is, future generations will be fortunate to have it being tested. If grin dies it was a bad idea, and if grin becomes successful, everyone will call the OGs genius. Now we are in a very dificult path. The only hope i have is taking realistic decision and be far more open tothe community, which could start with giving this twitter account to JAR and developping atomic swap for people to have some happiness and feel imediate reward using this coin

3 Likes

I always hate to see people lose faith and leave. I am a genesis miner. Never thought 1 second about quitting. Actually I am even more convinced in the intrinsic value of Grin then I was ever before.

But then I again… I am hodling btc since 2013. I used tot mined it until last year. Also I used to mine Litecoin in the early days and monero and ethereum. Later on I started mining more shitcoins like Raven etc. This cycle you are referring to as only downward, no traction, utterly hopeless is in ALL of those coins and you particularly see it in the early years of their life. I recognize this in Grin and all that is happening is the slow birth of a new gigantic blockchain.

Of course I don’t know for sure if Grin will keep existing, but I am confident the community and council will do everything that is necessary to accomplish this. And in the meanwhile they will have my 100% support in doing so.

With that being said. I wish you good fortune in the adventures to come.

12 Likes

Well those investors knew about the emission schedule, so theey were happy to bet on it.

Yes, it was a mistake to get involved with GRIN in the first place. I think those investors learned the hard way. I did as well. I wish I had never mined GRIN. So you are right, early investors and miners made a mistake. They paid for it.

Why the heck would not they have given one percent of this imagined 100million mining money to the developers ? almost 0 was given

The donation funding mechanism was always a weakness with the project, IMO. But that’s what the council wanted to go with. Maybe GRIN council could have worked something out with those early investors to put some money in exchange for future coins. But that would go against everything GRIN council and purists believed in.

2 Likes

For the exchanges it does not make sense in our case to pay for listing, However, I don’t know if the council has any communication with exchanges. I heard there is a private keybase chat room where some exchange operators are.

ALL there needs to be, in my opinion, is that one council member just says to exchanges that WE are happy to help them if they need assistance, I dont know at all if it has been said or not. But basic human communication is important. It makes a big diference versus saying nothing, as it demonstrates attention to those exchanges, especially that we know grin integration and support are not the easiest.

So yeah,more humanity and communications at all levels is what we just need for the short term I think. Showing that we are helpful people and that we are alive beings

later on I started mining more shitcoins like Raven etc. This cycle you are referring to as only downward, no traction, utterly hopeless is in ALL of those coins and you particularly see it in the early years of their life. I recognize this in Grin and all that is happening is the slow birth of a new gigantic blockchain.

@bluimes

Funny that we mined some of the same coins – including RVN!

Thanks for the good vibes. I still own a good amount of GRIN from my early mining days. Am holding it for tax write off later in the year. I probably got involved with BTC a little earlier than you did. I first got into BTC when I heard the story of someone buying a Pizza with Bitcoin. Too bad I only bought a few BTC for fun. Those were really fun and exciting times.

1 Like

@Kurt

I didn’t mean spending money for an exchange listing. I meant that GRIN council could have created a different funding model. This donation-only funding model doesn’t work. Especially if no one can make any money off your coin. I sure hope that BTC whale that donated those 50 BTC to GRIN keep shelling it out!

They have done it two times, 50 + 50. it is the kind of thing which is a “sign of god” :slight_smile: we will see if yes or not in the future…

@kurt

“sign of god” funding model is probably not a very reliable one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe there are quite a few side effects:

1. If I ask you what Ethereum emission will look like in 2022, you can’t say for sure because they keep changing it
  2. Bitcoiners are making fun of Ethereum’s emission changes. Remember that some of the prominent Bitcoin characters have said some nice things about Grin. We would lose their support by changing the emission
  3. Grin would become unfair - it was promising 1 grin/sec forever to investors and later broke that promise

I’ve known about Grin for less than a year so I can’t speak about the early days and what was promised/discussed back then, but I do remember hearing Ignotus say at a conference opening that the technology is being built for 10-20 years in the future. It would be a bad move to change the idea just to make the investors happy.

3 Likes

We already have lost their support though :confused:

2 Likes

Lol well then you pretty much can guess how much their support was worth in the first place. Very little to nothing changed in the fundamentals of this project. Furthermore, protecting consensus is the top priority of the developers. How can they be against that? They should support Eth or even better failed coin Verge. rofllol

True, the support was ephemeral, but still many of them contributed and gave a lot of their skills and times to grin development in the early days. The early departure of ignotus, which was in the middle of a project by the way when he left (i2p) hurted the coin a lot

Thats bull eye…But behaving too coyly,you will lose your lover…