ツ vs Current Brand

Beam seems to claim the G with two horizontal strokes for their atomic unit Groth.

ツ is not humorous or light-hearted to me, it’s inviting and will pique curiosity, looks great as well. Anyone can write with with 3 strokes of a pencil. The sloppy G looks overly complicated and ugly.

The Grin logo is a smiling face, I don’t see how ツ is inconsistent with that and don’t see any option mentioned in this thread being better.

2 Likes

Re-read what I’m saying. The point of a grin is not that it’s grinning. It’s that it conforms in the simplest way possible to the word of the currency. (For what it’s worth, you are the one who’s all over the place. You pushed for light-heartedness in the logo. This is, once again, evidence that trying to fit a narrative of Grin into the image isn’t timeless–it’s arbitrary and ill-fated to the project’s evolution.)

Now, look at this conversation in greater detail. You are essentially demonstrating what I was saying about pushing a singular narrative for the project (Grin is used for this, Grin is meant for these people, “everyone” feels the way that I do, etc.)

I’ve been reading these forums since the beginning–only recently did I create a username–and followed the gitter also. I’m not a developer so I didn’t contribute on issues outside my understanding.

The Grin community has expressed reservations from the beginning about the logo. Some of the responses to this complaint showed disinterest in community involvement. (The notable part here is that there are “customers” to Grin. Is that what a non-developer is in the Grin community?)

People pointed out that the logo is too cartoonish–

And overly complex–

And unduly alienating–

The community also agreed to revisit the question at some point if issues arose–

So, to reiterate one more time, my argument is simply that

There is no such thing as a neutral representation of grin
The best way to depict the project is through the simplest means possible
Since the currency is grin, the simplest way to represent this through image is as a grin (without noisy occult references)

The goal should not to be to satisfy anyone, but to pick the simplest logo possible so that it benefits no party.
Make an argument as to why the current brand of this project at all reflects the ideas of equity, timelessness, simplicity, and community, more-so than a blank, colorless grin.
There is no simpler image to depict a grin than a grin, nothing more, nothing less ← that is my argument. What’s yours?

grin_symbol

3 Likes

I took a second look at your logo today and I actually like it a lot. Here I drafted this logo quickly based on other cryptocurrency logos. To me something similar to this would look more serious and better suitable for a currency compared to what we have today.
grinnnn

1 Like

I wrote this post a while back, but it’s kind of relevant to this discussion. I think the perspective of some people is that Grin is not ready yet for mainstream adoption and won’t be for a long time. So we’re not even trying to attract users yet, we’re trying to attract devs. Not saying this is the best approach, just pointing it out.

IMO from a branding perspective one of the biggest drawcards of using ツ is that could create a seamless design between the currency symbol and logo

1 Like

Personally I dislike all these G’s . Much rather =) or ツ

Best G proposal so far IMO:
8272959C-5A56-48F9-A7CF-ED36E2C332A9

Also still like ツ very much. If we go with ツ, it’s probably best not being in a circle or square, or it looks like a head of a kid’s stick figure: ㋡

2 Likes

IMO the grinning smiley with the M W eyes is not fit for purpose at all - it was fine as a provisional, jokey, subversive logo when the project was getting off the ground but is past its usefulness now. I agree that using the ツ like this for the logo solves most of the problems folks have been voicing and it would mean that the currency symbol and the logo are connected. It could be used on a yellow background if folk want to preserve that element but may cause confusion with emoticons. An alternative colour combination might also be necessary for using on white backgrounds with the symbol in white (just not facebook blue) to demarcate it, which is a common enough problem with logotype.

Agree also in particular about the point that the ツ symbol reflecting an actual grin is more appropriate than a G which only has meaning in English in so far as it is short for grin. Symbols reflecting actual real things is how writing started for chrissakes cf. hieroglyphics!

That would be true if grin had other names in other languages, but I think grin is universal.

But Beam used that first.

G represents what is maybe the best known constant in physics, the universal constant of gravitation.

I like to modify that G a bit to build a GRIN logo from it.
heavy, sure of himself, calm, strong, simple. goes on the Bitcoin field, G “vs” B

Not true. The Spanish word for grin is mueca, in French it’s sourire, in Chinese it’s 咧嘴笑 which sounds something like “layitsi shao” – what makes you think people who speak other languages would adopt an English spelling for the word that has the sound “grin” in English?? A unit of sterling currency is called a pound which in Spanish is libra, in French it’s livre, in Chinese it’s 磅 (“bahh”) etc etc.

I think I have seen that some members of the chinese grin community have called grin “hahacoin” (translated in Chinese). Not sure if such a member could confirm here ?

I think so, because this is what happened with other cryptocurrencies as well. Bitcoin is known as Bitcoin, Ethereum as Ethereum, Monero as Monero. The same thing happens for brands. Apple is Apple, Facebook is Facebook, Toyota is Toyota. There may be local nicknames, but I don’t see them replacing the original name for the mainstream to the point where a local exchange would prefer to use that name. Cryptocurrency names are more like brand names than for example country names. This may change in the future, but I remain sceptical.

Grin’s branding is the bees knees. I love the ツ currency symbol and the current grin logo.

1 Like

In some cases, perhaps, but bar the example of Apple most of these words like Ethereum, Monero, Toyota etc had no previous existence in other languages so there is nothing to translate them to. Even Facebook though a compound word, has no meaning for people outside of the US and possibly Harvard; Bitcoin was new compound word with no previous meaning and so on. I remain to be convinced…

:+1: but MW ') logo :-1:

I don’t think that at this point it could even be changed. The strong consensus on the overall dankness of the grin brand is decentralized enough that no collective force could possibly overcome the dankness threshold to change the grin branding. Not even God.

1 Like
  • Adobe
  • Allianz
  • Amazon
  • American Express
  • American Airlines
  • BMW (Bayerische Motoren Werke)
  • Blanco
  • Burger King
  • Deutsche Bank
  • Extra Large
  • Guess
  • KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken)
  • L’Autre Chose
  • Mastercard
  • Oracle
  • Ripple
  • Uncle Bens
  • Visa

If I ever heard people translate such brand names, then it was jokingly…
I think it is because people generally don’t translate brand names.

1 Like