Request for funding @davidtavarez (Grin++ mobile wallet)

I think this would be a very positive project to fund. :+1:

My understanding is this proposal is for a “full” mobile node with the Grin++ node running entirely on the mobile device.
Is there “prior art” and other projects we can point to that have done this successfully for other cryptocurrencies?

Would it potentially make more sense to do this in a “trusted node” model? With the mobile UI interacting with a configurable server based node.

4 Likes

I will try my best to make the codebase as flexible as possible. I’m considering to create a nuget package for the Grin++ API but anyone could do the same for grin-wallet; in the timespan of 3 months I won’t be able to write an adapter for grin-wallet, but I’m more than happy to support other community members.

Yes; that’s one of the goals although there are some challenges here. I would like to see more progress on “light nodes” but in the meantime I’m a bit optimistic since nowadays cellphones and tablets are really powerful overall. I will keep the community posted.

Totally! another option is to use NFC, at the beginning it will only be available between 2 Grin++ mobile wallets. To be able to send/receive coins just with proximity makes me really excited, maybe we will be able to pay for a pizza with our mobile wallets very soon… I don’t know, I don’t mind opening a PR for IronBelly with this feature later on 2021 when the feature becomes more stable.

In general, the option of running a mobile wallet using a remote backend will be there, but I won’t encourage users to do it, at least not for now. Also, in the current version of Grin++ Desktop the user must enter their password in order to authorize Sending grins, for the mobile version it will be the same control (probably replacing it with TouchID when it’s possible).

10 Likes