Kucoin account hacked

Note that they phrased that ambiguously to avoid confirming that a picture was submitted in support of disabling 2FA.
Just ask them explicitly: did or did they not receive a picture in support of the 2FA disable request.
You’re not asking for the picture, just for a simple yes or no. That’s not sensitive information and I see no valid reason for not sharing it with you.

6 Likes

I sent another email asking exactly that.

1 Like

it also could be social engineering on one of their employees to unbind your 2FA ? they need to give you more information. maybe they were manipulated

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. We will see what they say next time they respond. They don’t seem to want to give me any information though.

I don’t know why any one would use an exchange to hold coins they can’t afford to lose.
Am I the only person who remembers mt gox?
I lost 6btc (50 dollars at the time) and never got it back.
Tbh whether it’s an inside hack or your e-begging or you trying some 200iq fraud is irrelevant now.
Just be your own custodian of your own coins.
Even banks go bust and your cash isn’t 100% safe in a bank account.
So let to this be a bitter lesson to all those people who can’t afford to lose the coins on an exchange.
Don’t hold your assets with 3rd parties.

1 Like

Giving your picture to u (the real account holder) is sensitive, how could they answer just like this ?

1 Like

On the occasion of this incident I think that there are identical platforms with KuCoin. They work in exactly the same way, have the same security measures and follow the same policy when something goes wrong. This raises the question of whether these exchanges are safe. @Wolfshrike I mentioned in a previous post the case of MTGox. There is such a big difference. It is one thing to do something on a mass level and it is another thing to target a single account. If it is an inside job (that is where most of us end up) it practically means that the accounts and transactions are monitored. It does not seem unlikely to me for a China company since their logic is fully consistent with mass surveillance. It is unacceptable if something goes wrong that you can not have a basic communication or even online to find out what really happened

1 Like

On a general KuCoin topic, I noticed when logging into the platform I did not receive any login notifications for the past 7-10 days.

Now I am receiving notification mails again, did anyone also experience this as well?
(I double checked all login notification mails last 6-8 weeks including last 10 days.)

1 Like

I haven’t got any login emails recently either.

On a side note: it sounds like Kucoin was spoofed. There’s supposedly a picture of someone out there that was used to removed 2FA. It sounds like they messed up and I lost my funds.

It was a no KYC account so all they had was my email, password, google 2FA and trading password to go by.

Any news? Did you contact them for further instructions? Did you find any new issue?

1 Like

I’ve been in contact with them every day since this happened.

They say I’m just out of funds.

And they’ve officially stopped responding to my emails and they’ve gone ahead and banned me from their sub reddit.

1 Like

It’s really sad all these “companies” to behave in this unacceptable way. The whole essence of cryptocurrencies is based on trust. I don’t see any reason for anyone to trust all of these platforms. I prefer to contact people face to face or through some trusted communications to exchange cryptocurrencies rather than these insecure websites that claim to be safe. I’m sure there are difficulties in the way I exchange cryptocurrencies or make the process more time-consuming, but I know how to be safe and surely none of us needs anyone who provides us “security”. Boycott them!

1 Like

?

Don’t trust, verify.

On a side node there is something to say for all these companies lacking basics like providing security, support and their compliance with certain laws. Also you want a certain exchange to be ethical in the way they setup their own trading and f.i. reject wash trading or investments or listings. Remember that many exchanges are not even in the same continent we are. Making it hard to conclude if a specific exchange is trustworthy.

In my experience there are at this point zero exchanges that meet all those demands.

2 Likes

some fresh news

2 Likes

Now they are really hacked - https://www.kucoin.com/news/en-kucoin-security-incident-update

1 Like

Yeah I sent them an email asking for a refund for the hack. They stopped replying a while back though.

I am not sure, but this looks like spam? @admins

Edit:
(I am referring to a comment above me, which is now deleted)

Please flag the post as spam in that case. (option under …)

1 Like