Grin Pool Centralization Over 80%

Can a company that is based in Hong Kong just offer services over Tor without having to fear repercussions? I am surprised that they still list Grin and XMR, since I think we need to be ready for a full ban of privacy coins in China at any time. Slatepack messages are probably the best transaction method in that climate, because it is easier to evade censorship this way, but this is fully interactive and not really suitable for miners who want the process to be fully automated.

Honestly, I think that China in its current form is a terrible place to mine Grin. We would benefit from gate.io delisting Grin (or at least switching to fully interactive transactions) or China banning Grin. Trying to adapt, because some technology is banned in China is a losing game, IMO.

If multiple competing teams try to 51% attack Grin at the same time, it would make it hard to win for any individual team.

Is it possible a time warp attack happens on Grin due to mining centralization?

Not only miners,but there is exchange centralizatloin too. Users and miners rely only 1 exchange.

@Gorfo Everything is possible.
pool.always.vip cut off communication with me and with the group what we formed for Grin Mining Pools meeting.

They also had an attack on the pool and reduced the commission to 0% to avoid losing miners. Already 80% of the miners are on this pool and they are trying not to lose. Unfortunately, they are far from being a community pool.

2 Likes

(pool.always.vip) The shame of the mining pool, they are blatantly stealing the computing power and labor achievements of all miners, using an old Chinese saying “take advantage of people’s danger”

I don’t understand how a completely decentralized community like grin, which is similar to bitcoin, can tolerate the public appearance of such a mine pool. It’s a shame!

Grin hashrate and price keeps growing here is a 3 months period :

Centralization around a pool is growing also :

source: Grin stats

Why they don’t just add a pool fee so the miners spread even if they truly want to avoid centralization ?

Because the viip mine pool steals a large number of users’ computing power to pursue illegal interests, they claim that their mine pool has been attacked. In fact, they can’t take any evidence and explanation that the mine pool has been attacked. What’s more sad is that they don’t try to refuse new miners to join the mine pool, but are very open!

1 Like

“Pool. Always. VIP” is a liar!!!

I am in contact with mining pools administrators and owners discussing this problem.

But it takes time and we need to educate especially the Chinese community, because having a conversation with an Exchange it did lead to me thinking they have not enough neutral information about GRIN.

3 Likes

If I can help you, you can tell me I will try my best, but my English is not very good.

The behavior of VIP mining pool is fraud, and they have broken the law within the legal framework of China.

VIP ore pool has opened a special mining pass for users with a computing power of more than 100g. Is this to reduce the centralized computing power of the ore pool?
There are often problems with block dividends, which are all distributed manually by the mine pool owner. Is this a feature of ancient society?

Why this thread is ignored by those in charge of Grin future (and paid for that). Dont see elephant in the room ??

1 Like

Pun intended, I mean with your name :upside_down_face:?
I do not think it is ignored. It is however a very difficult topic to tackle since miners make these decisions themselves. Maybe we should discuss again if we as community can do anything about it.
Some things that have been done:

But you are right it does not change the fact that mining centralization poses a risk. Any suggestions on how to solve it are welcome.

Yes, centralization is bad. I have notice this, I consider imporving pool fee, but goblin has prove it didn’t work.

1 Like

how a perfect world would look like :grin:

Always.vip pool is unfortunately is being embarrassing. They have ZERO connection to the community for solution this problem. Pool fee reduced to %1!
It’s a pool which unworthy of Grin. I protest this situation.
If necessary, pools with 0% fee should be created as a community and their fees should be paid by the community or council. We cannot entrust Grin to them.
@DQF Hear this

2 Likes

Mmm, that is indeed a bit of a problem. Should we change the mining fee for grinmint to 1% temporarily at least @mcm-mike or at least put this to discussion?

@mcm-mike the website certificate for GrinMint.com expired. The certificate needs to be update otherwise visitors will get a warning the site might not be trust-able which might scare away miners willing to switch to GrinMint.

Thank you for the reminder, I am already in contact with Quentin who will update the certificate.
Only the frontend has this problem, all mining is still possible and working.
No funds will be lost as the mining is still working!

3 Likes