Grin Logos for Community Consideration

32xvector%20mw%20smile1%20bw
64xvector%20mw%20smile1%20bw
128xvector%20mw%20smile1%20bw

I think it’s the sublime smile of the just in the face of forces of immense power and inertia.

4 Likes

I agree, figuring the theme of Grin makes it easier. IMO Grin is a currency at the end of the day (Distinguish it from the underlining technology, forgetting the protocol, privacy, cuckoo cycle, and all the technical aspect of it), so it’s best to treat is as such in this regard.

No one symbol/logo will be the absolute best and there will always be disagreement, but the it needs to be within the context of its purpose (Grin is a currency, not a shirt logo).

1 Like

Simple currency symbol discussion:

I totally agree with @mgbor! Maybe we could keep the smile logo to represent the community and use a currency symbol to represent Grin, which main purpose is to be a currency.

I think that @mgbor’s point was to use the currency symbol as the logo for the project. Not to discuss which currency symbol to use. :wink:

Do you mean like the currency symbol? Such as:

100 Ξ
100 / ฿
100 Ł
100 Ᵽ

Because then we should browse unicodes. There are a few fun currency ones:

100₲ (GUARANI)
100₻ (NORDIC MARK)
100₾ (LARI)
100¤(CURRENCY)

Or we can explore wider, here are my favorites:
100ğ
100Ğ

100ǧ
100Ǧ

100ǥ
100Ǥ

100ǵ
100Ǵ

100ɠ
100ʛ
100Ɠ
100Ᏻ

100ɢ
100Ԍ
100Ꮐ

100Ϛ
100Ϭ

100ϡ
100҂

100ω
100Ѡ
100Ѿ

100Ҁ
100ҁ

100(;

My personal favorite of the ones above is . If you zoom in closely, it has a script M at the top of the G, which could be script for m&w

2 Likes

I really like the g with the stroke that @0xb100d and I used for our submissions.

like this:

It’s easy and simple.

1 Like

I love this as a currency symbol (1,000ǥ for example).

Yet I don’t think it should be the logo used for the currency. I love the effect that the mw smiley logo has when compared to other coins:

3 Likes

By the way, I looked through google fonts for a fun handwritten style and really like the way Indie Flower looks:

1 Like

I feel like having both a logo and a currency symbol that are not even similar will create a lot of confusion… In my opinion.

Fair, I’m sure you’re not the only one. I’m personally heavily biased towards the smiley as it’s what drew me in but I can see from a more clean/neutral standpoint that the ǥ has benefits.

Yet if ether, monero, iota, etc can successfully use a logo to cement their brand, it’s not impossible for us either :slight_smile:

Anyways, I had some fun with the indie flower font. It’s super easy to mock up memes and content that fit the mw smiley styling. Since it’s a google font, everyone can use it right away as well without licensing issues.

3 Likes

Hey people, new here.

I don’t have a logo yet, but I have something to consider, which might spawn some new ideas regarding logo and maybe overall branding (if we want to call it that).

Maybe you are familiar with the CHeshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. If you’re not, see here:

My “GIP” (Grin Improvement Proposal) would be to adopt the cat as a mascot. It fits perfectly:

• It grins all the time.
  • It is a very sovereign and free character in the book.
  • It can become invisible if it wants to.

Also, due to its age, both the original text of Alice in Wonderland, as well as the original illustrations (some depicting the cat) are in the public domain:

…although maybe a more modern picture would fit better?

If I find the time, I might try to come up with some sketches for a logo based on the Cheshire Cat, but I’m pretty rusty.

Also, maybe the cat doesn’t have to be tha base of the logo, but as a mascot, it is just too fitting to not use it in some way.

Regards,
tkk

3 Likes

I like that idea. The Cheshire Cat was one of the first things I thought of when I heard of Grin, well, that and the Grinch. I’m a fan of the anarchist smiley though too

2 Likes

grin

Low res but was just playing around

And here’s a distorted version of the current smiley, just wanted to see what it would look like

4 Likes

that it’s so easy to sketch continues to be evidence it’s a good logo. i’d like to see people try to doodle half of the sharp repetitive ICO crypto logos out there. would be good and entertaining.

@tkk_tkk
you are absolutely on to something… I adore how fun this is. it’s like grin already exists and we are discovering it (sayeth the man who contributes no hard code! romantic fool)

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of the smiley but a lot of others are, so maybe just the grin without the eyes similar to this. Please note I just stole a smiley from online and adjusted it slightly.

Grin1

I like that idea @tkk_tkk, nice with the Cheshire Cat as our mascot. The cat is a bad ass character, and it brings back fuzzy childhood memories. ^^

And yea, defo agree with @0xb100d, the fact that @colincr33vey could just doodle that out and we still easily can see what it is (and it still looks good!) makes it quite iconic I think. haha

Ok, this is what I’ve come up with:

They’re a bit small, but I think you get the idea.

I’m a bit rusty when it comes to logo design/vector graphics, so there is room for improvement. Stuff like how many line of “fading”, how much space should be between them etc. are currently just thrown out there, as well as the whole face situation. I like how it is somewhat like the smiley, but it is still a bit cluncky, it could be smoother. Also, maybe the cat is looking a bit too “evil” at the moment. A more neutral look would be better, but I haven’t figured out how to make it happen without losing the simple smile scheme.

I went with the color scheme which seems to be most popular at the moment, but this is not set in stone. I am not too sure how I feel about black/yellow, It is very hard to not make it look cheap.

I like the fading and I can see “GRIN” as a word with that kind of fading, with an offset, shadowy color detail like the cats body. I just was too lazy to browse for the right font and play around.

3 Likes

… Here’s also just the grin: