Currency Symbol [ ɠ / ꞡ / ǥ / other ] #BS

These sorts of arguments have all been debated before and the ツ was voted on as the preferred choice. No offence but there is nothing really new in what you are suggesting and the currency symbol is not really something people have been complaining about. You may want to read the full history of how it was arrived at in these threads. It wasn’t my first choice at the time but I now believe it was a suitably novel and original choice. There is more dissent about the logo (smiley mw grin emoticon) so you may want to get involved in that debate if you have ideas around this sort if thing.

ᵹ actually received the most votes in the currency symbol vote

Nobody knows how to pronounce ツ

1 Like

No offense taken. I have yet to see the real vote were these suggestions were included along with the reasoning. I suggest a revote.

If this is indeed the case, why are we using Tsu? I am not happy with ᵹ as this doesn’t have an alternative that can be typed on most devices.

My argument for (= is that it is most accessible for devices. If Grin is about “Electronic transactions for all. Without censorship or restrictions.” then why not use a symbol most common among electronic devices in order not to restrict or make it difficult?

My (=2

I think that’s besides the point. I think it’s too hard to express for most devices unless it’s substituted with =), but in that case why not use (= ? A custom glyph designed as an SVG can be used in applications with the hope that eventually this will be included in the Unicode standard.

Here are some variations on the idea of combining the G with a smiley face (=

Left one is using a particular font with nice serifs. Middle one uses a modified G from the Harry Potter font. Right one is a custom designed sans-serif G.

I want you to notice how each one is designed to resemble a G on face value (no pun intended), but also upon further inspection the smiley face grin is embedded within the symbol. The symbol also fits as a currency symbol.

1 Like

I think that one stands apart ₲

straight, simple, precise, elegant, proud.

Together with the currency of the Paraguay, the gram g, and the universal gravitational constant G.

Love the one G at the extreme bottom right actually

I appreciate the support in the idea. I think it’s unique enough of a concept to combine a G with an extra dash to create a unique enough symbol that incorporates a smile while lending itself to a currency symbol. Currencies usually add an extra dash or slash to an existing letter.

The one on the far right in the first image and the one in the bottom right quadrant in the second image are the same. This one I designed myself. However, a font designer will have freedom to variate the design. The design should be stated as such: a G with an added dash between the right-sided opening gap.

Added benefit to this design: try hand writing a uppercase G and adding a dash. You will notice it takes only two strokes to do so like a $ only requires two strokes. This is efficient much like the mimblewimble protocol is efficient.

Let us not forget, that these designs are for a future symbol not yet included in any character set standard. I imagine that one day this could be included the Unicode standard. Until then, I see no harm in using an SVG of such a symbol in applications and systems while also allowing for the alternative of (= to be used in discussion or where the symbol is unavailable.

Also, I might add that it could be okay to even use =) instead of (= if you’re in the Tsu camp and don’t have access to the Japanese character. But in that case you could just as easily use (= and support the effort to get the G-like symbol recognized. Furthermore, (= could be interchanged with a G alone, which would be even more convenient. Here are some examples

(=60
G60
=)60

These are the ways that grin amounts can be communicated over text, but it would still be nice to see a custom symbol used where it can (wallet applications, promotional material, etc). This customized design could be the official design for the symbol much like how there is already an official logo design.

All I ask is please, let’s not use these obscure characters like ツ, and god knows what ever ᵹ is. These are inconvenient.

(Imagine Japanese speakers pronouncing Grin as Tsu instead. Talk about miscommunication / lost in translation).

₲60 (sophisticated investors)
G60 (gravitational constant fans)
60 GRIN (ticker maximalists)

my 2ツ

Do you mean that you subscribe to the idea to use the Paraguayan guarani symbol instead of a customized symbol design, such as the one that I suggested?

I have no problem with using the guarani symbol, it is however not as ideal as being able to use (= when on say a mobile device. This is why I think (= or G is a perfect substitute for a official symbol. That official symbol being:

Personally I like the Guarani symbol the most for the currency (just from what I ve seen so far)

i find your G design (the one above with the additional horizontal line) cool too

They are a bit incompatible though lol

Curious on how other community members feel

The benefit that the symbol I designed has going for it is an easy substitute with (= which can be used today on most devices.

The guarani symbol could be substituted with G and used be most devices today. However, the community likes this Tsu character because it looks like a smiley face. So (= is a way to appeal to this favoritism. Even though =) would more closely follow the same angle of the Tsu character, I argue that (= more closely follows the angle of a G and it more closely resembles the euro symbol € which is an existing and well known currency symbol.

I find the =) or (= a bit confusing I would say, and not that pretty

I think I would vote to make ツ for the centigrin, or something like that. The fact that nobody knows how to pronounce it doesn’t facilitate Grin to print in people’s minds.

G-like symbols (especially Guarani currency symbol, and the design you have displayed above) are balanced and with a nice equilibrium, simple, confident, straight to the point, and also unique : G + bar

It says with confidence to Bitcoin and USD, now you’ll have to play with me too my guys. which is important, and allows to open the doors for a new paradigm :’)

It’s pronounced “grin”
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

My bad - I stand corrected - you’re right. But I guess the tsu smybol seemed to be generally accepted at the time is my point. In the absence of any compelling new argument or suggestion, I think this discussion is ‘bike-shedding’ to use someone else’s phrase. Why not educate folks around the symbol and how to pronounce it instead of suggesting banal alternatives? This could actually provide a great PR angle!

Why making things simple when it can be complicated ^
You don’t want to educate anybody on symbols; people have other cats to torture rather than learning this shit :0

I suggested something like this around time of the vote and it didn’t get any support - which is absolutely fine - but I think you may be going down a road that was already explored, which seems a waste of time cf. Currency Symbol [ ɠ / ꞡ / ǥ / other ] #BS

I don’t know, I like things that get straight to the point.

especially in a confusing world which is cryptocurrency.

bitcoin seems to have acknowledged that.

and the G-bar things look good