Currency Symbol [ ɠ / ꞡ / ǥ / other ] #BS

It is also a symbol that means “Scourge” to past peoples of this earth. A whip. How fitting.

The intent is to get this into the real world. Your suggestion is great because it’s easy for the kids to write at school. Do they still use pencils at school? It’s been awhile. Just make it easy to draw. This is the new world currency system in its infancy. Let’s make it easy on the kids.

Grin is a lantern in the dark. We will all find our way here. Good to meet you.

(I just realize the symbol has been picked. And it was a mighty choice. I do like it).

1. Our coming was foretold
  2. Cringe
  3. Thanks for brining me here. I will be grateful to you always.

1 Like

This symbol seems unnecessarily complicated and confusing.

The process was good and transparent it’s my fault for joining the meeting late but given how close it was I will probably propose more thoughts from the community and present my case. I also missed the opportunity to share the polls on Twitter when they were live which I think would have garnered a larger voting body.

Your organizing abilities are much appreciated, I’m not critiquing just personally much more fond of the first option than the tsu in the long run. I don’t think it calls for protesting outright (yet!).

How about lower-case Koppa from ancient greek alphabet: ϟ

It looks like Harry’s scar, and is simple enough to write. It’s almost like a $ but more wizard-like.

23ϟ

or

ϟ23

1 Like

Nice, but may be too similar to number 4.

Good point. However it still is kinda cool.

I’m going to leave this link here for more info about this character: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koppa_(letter)

EDIT:

Ultimately, a reverse of this character would be the best so as not to get confused with the number 4.

EDIT:

I found https://unicode-table.com/en/16F2/ which is a reversed lighting bolt character, but unfortunately, it is limited in support.

Also there is ৸ (BENGALI CURRENCY NUMERATOR ONE LESS THAN THE DENOMINATOR)

23৸

EDIT:

One benefit is that it shows up when searching “currency” on macOS’s “Emoji’s & Symbols” tool.

տ is like an m and w combined: 100տ

1 Like

I am late to the party, but I can’t hold my reply to this:

It doesn’t have to be backed by anything. It is scarce. That’s the first step in making something desirable. Grin, as with Bitcoin, or as with Gold, is backed by itself.

They are scarce. Bitcoin is everything that a gold is and even more. It is easy to transport, easy to divide, easy to send/receive etc. etc.

Grin, promises to be everything that Bitcoin is and even more. Easy to scale. Superior in terms of privacy.

I might be wrong in my last conceptualization. But that’s why I am here for. Educate myself.

Its backed by computing power, which is probably valuable.

1 Like

Grin turns communication into currency.

1 Like

Not yet? How much computing power is there in the Grin’s network today?

Grin, promises to be everything that Bitcoin is and even more. Easy to scale. Superior in terms of privacy.

I might be wrong in my last conceptualization. But that’s why I am here for. Educate myself.

mimblewimble requires some heavy tradeoffs to get the privacy and noninteractive combining of trasactions

Bitcoin has sensible smart contracts; “scriptless srcipts” are going to be wonky replacements at best and an rather realistic possibility is that what little is possible lags behind massively.

Hard privacy is its own trade offs as a security concern; pows are poorly understood by the general public but at the very least you should be aware of 51% attacks, but there are other options with creativity and setting your sights lower at lower hash rates, knowing how much money belongs to which miner is potentially preventing certain attacks in bitcoin. Feather forking for example if someone gets control of double digit of the hashrate can make perfectly greedy miners censor someone unless they are willing to pay a transaction fee of a large percentage of the mining reward. Without public knowledge of who controls how much hashrate, an anti-feather forking defence may not happen; the reputation aspect of the system means miners are potentially closer to being perfectly greedy; and the censoring could potentially be more subtle; if the miners know who each other are but the general public does not.

etc. etc.

Early estimates were around $100,000,000 worth of computing power, and it seems to have been pretty close to correct. Tens of thousands of GPUs.

1 Like

Do you have a source to back this up?

1 Like

This recently published estimate puts grin mining at over half a million GPUs

3 Likes

Sure, I was playing the devil’s advocate.

Grin is for sure backed by sweat-equity in the form of knowledge, effort and mining(same as gold, as an example), but still don’t have an intrinsic value like precious metals do(can be measured in atomic weight). Of course it is not based on IOU, like the current global “monetary” system is. Federal jurisdiction still uses an intrinsic monetary system(how do you pay for the currency that is being printed for your country? it costs money to have, lets say Oberthur Fiduciaire/IDEMIA to print your cash. How do you pay for it? with the same cash you had them print in the first place?) Point I was making was that it is risky to even call GRIN a currency. Not that you cannot, but should you? GRIN should be claimed on a federal level instead of getting caught up in usury through the legal system. GRIN is a vessel/tender(although digital) that uses the tele-communication systems(postal) and gateways(ports) under maritime law.

I’ve been going against the grain by insisting that we consider ₲ for the currency symbol. And, I’m aware that the community has already decided on ツ for the currency symbol. However, the case I have for ₲ is simply because it looks like like a symbol for money. We have $ and ฿ which have already distilled themselves in the minds of many as symbols for currency. I argue that emulating or having the association with existing archetypes is important for adoption. This is the main reason why I advocate for ₲ as the currency symbol.

The other reason for ₲ is that it incorporates the letter G which is obvious to stand for the word Grin. I understand that ツ is to stand for the meaning behind the english word grin (a smile), however I’d argue that the name for Grin was chosen because of harry potter lore (Gringotts Bank) and the fact that the there is an english word which means to smile is only an association. I don’t mind this association necessarily, however I would prefer if ツ looked more like a currency symbol while doing so.

An alternative to ₲ that actually settles both idiomatic ideas (the letter G and the smile) and would look like an existing currency symbol would be something like this:

(=

If you notice this kind of resembles the symbol for euros, €. However, it would need more evolution to resemble a G. If only there was an inverted ツ this would more closely resemble the ideal symbol.

Let us assume we have the ability to one day have included in the unicode table of currency symbols, our own ideal symbol. This is what I imagine that symbol could look like (bare in mind this is a rough idea and I’m not a font designer by any means):

small

Looks somewhat like a G and a smiley face while also similar looking to the euro symbol, €. So it is meant to include the three points I made above: 1) Looks familiar as a currency symbol. 2) Resembles a G for the name Grin. 3) Resembles a smiley or grin.

This symbol could be tweaked to look more official with serifs and cleaner lines (as I said I’m not a font designer and this is a quick design I put together). And still it remains the case that we don’t have the means to include this into the unicode standard quite yet.

So I purpose in the meantime we could use (= as the currency symbol as it is the closest we have to such a design and could stand in as a temporary solution until we have such a symbol officially included in a standard like Unicode. Also, I’ll add that it is easy to type on most latin based keyboards (qwerty, dvorak, and mobile virtual keyboards)