ツ vs Current Brand

But Beam used that first.

G represents what is maybe the best known constant in physics, the universal constant of gravitation.

I like to modify that G a bit to build a GRIN logo from it.
heavy, sure of himself, calm, strong, simple. goes on the Bitcoin field, G “vs” B

Not true. The Spanish word for grin is mueca, in French it’s sourire, in Chinese it’s 咧嘴笑 which sounds something like “layitsi shao” – what makes you think people who speak other languages would adopt an English spelling for the word that has the sound “grin” in English?? A unit of sterling currency is called a pound which in Spanish is libra, in French it’s livre, in Chinese it’s 磅 (“bahh”) etc etc.

I think I have seen that some members of the chinese grin community have called grin “hahacoin” (translated in Chinese). Not sure if such a member could confirm here ?

I think so, because this is what happened with other cryptocurrencies as well. Bitcoin is known as Bitcoin, Ethereum as Ethereum, Monero as Monero. The same thing happens for brands. Apple is Apple, Facebook is Facebook, Toyota is Toyota. There may be local nicknames, but I don’t see them replacing the original name for the mainstream to the point where a local exchange would prefer to use that name. Cryptocurrency names are more like brand names than for example country names. This may change in the future, but I remain sceptical.

Grin’s branding is the bees knees. I love the ツ currency symbol and the current grin logo.

1 Like

In some cases, perhaps, but bar the example of Apple most of these words like Ethereum, Monero, Toyota etc had no previous existence in other languages so there is nothing to translate them to. Even Facebook though a compound word, has no meaning for people outside of the US and possibly Harvard; Bitcoin was new compound word with no previous meaning and so on. I remain to be convinced…

:+1: but MW ') logo :-1:

I don’t think that at this point it could even be changed. The strong consensus on the overall dankness of the grin brand is decentralized enough that no collective force could possibly overcome the dankness threshold to change the grin branding. Not even God.

1 Like
  • Adobe
  • Allianz
  • Amazon
  • American Express
  • American Airlines
  • BMW (Bayerische Motoren Werke)
  • Blanco
  • Burger King
  • Deutsche Bank
  • Extra Large
  • Guess
  • KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken)
  • L’Autre Chose
  • Mastercard
  • Oracle
  • Ripple
  • Uncle Bens
  • Visa

If I ever heard people translate such brand names, then it was jokingly…
I think it is because people generally don’t translate brand names.

1 Like

Just want to throw my opinion in here.

I think the current logo is cool.
I think ツ would be even better.

Is it a brand name though, or is it a thing?

None of both and both at the same time. :upside_down_face: (why is there no grinmoji?)

I also contribute my grain of sand, when I saw the subject, it reminded me that some time ago it occurred to me to make a currency logo to pass the time, what do you think?

3 Likes

Nice it first makes me think of the themes ninja, yin yang, and Ferrari.

maybe a bit baroque or not quite minimalistic but I like the logo that you did

1 Like

Nice, clever and well executed imo :clap: … probably not minimal enough for a logo though, especially for Grin…could be good for promotion or poster or something like that…

I think you make the best point here. ツ is too difficult to write (digitally) and substitute unless we appreciate =) as an intermediary. I’ve argued this before as well.

I can write G100 or g100 just fine on desktop and mobile devices. Unless we adopt =) as the currency symbol for digital communication, ツ doesn’t work.

1 Like

That sucks. The G symbol they’re using is exactly the symbol I’ve been proposing. We can still steal it back and use it. I wouldn’t mind, but it put us at odds, unless they choose to change their symbol usage.

This pisses me off frankly. Maybe we can ask nicely for them to stop using this symbol if our community adopts it as our main currency symbol.

We should just adopt this symbol and call it a day. I’ve already made valid points as to why we should be using this symbol. Fuck Beam and what they’re doing. As a community, we don’t need to achieve consensus. Just use what you like in your writings and projects and let it be received or not received.

2 Likes

Wow, Imagine not liking ツ

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.38.16 AM

and the ‘Best G’ proposal so far ^That THING^ looks like…if the bass cleff fucked the equal sign IMO. Why are you guys even still talking about this? BTW in negative space it looks like a weird Quasimodo Letter ‘E’, congrats you got the letter wrong too.

2 Likes