ツ vs Current Brand

Disagree. “G” only has significance in the English language. In other languages, “G” is utterly meaningless. Just noise, a backstory that no longer matters.

All that matters is the idea, not the letters.

Also who cares how they pronounce it? It doesn’t change anything one bit. Grin is the same price & does the same things no matter where you are or what you call it.

1 Like

I’m not opposed to using the smile, but I am playing devils advocate, and I am saying that “just a smile” is not enough. Read my posts in regards to the currency symbol (particularly Currency Symbol [ ɠ / ꞡ / ǥ / other ] #BS - #66 by shush). My position is that the symbol shown includes both the letter G and a smile in a unique way that also loosely resembles an existing currency symbol. I believe that the symbol makes a lot of sense when we consider this.

However, I’ll consider a smile as the concept behind the brand and currency symbol exclusively. The only immediate objection is that the brand doesn’t command itself as a currency. Going with the pre-existing notions of what a currency should look like by society would benefit Grin’s brand in the short term. In the long run, future generations might associate a smile with money more than $, £, or €, but I’d argue that it’d be difficult to make current generations associate ツ with money.

Aside, allow me to ask you this: How could we design ツ to more closely resemble a currency symbol for a future official Unicode character?

That’s a great question. I really don’t know. I am partial to ツ but would support any grinning symbol.

I think our disagreements can be summarized nicely by this comment: “just a smile is not enough”

I think you are trying to cram too many ideas into the symbol

Future generations will see ツ exactly as we see it, as a grin

Grin is more than a currency (this might even literally be true, if the stuff about smart contracts pans out)…Simplicity allows grin to evolve without outgrowing the symbol…The Apple symbol belongs as much on a computer as it does a tablet or phone, just as a grin can be used for money or a smart contract or…

Less is more ツ

Here’s an attempt to design a currency symbol on the concept of a smile that is at similar angles to ツ (grin’s current official currency symbol). I took inspiration from the euro currency symbol in its design.

Here’s what an official logo could look like:

I mind that significantly less than the joker face

But I’m keen on the Grin and nothing else for the reasons above (grin is just a grin)

I agree with none of the arguments you made here (here, being the grin forum link you posted @0xb100d). You said stuff like, “you can’t use a happy symbol because somebody might pay for an abortion pill, somebody might use it for a coffin.”

That’s not the point. You’re overthinking it. The idea isn’t to predict what people will use this thing for and pick the most appropriate symbol to cover all situations. That’s sort of a tyrannical imposition by you onto grin. You don’t get to decide what a grin is.

If you lined up 100 people on the street and asked them which symbol was a grin, they would all say ツ

That is the point. Everybody already knows what a grin is. It’s universal. For some weird reason, we as humans all share the same understanding of a grin. ツ is the simplest, most universal, least tyrannical way to represent a grin.

If this currency was called Unicorns, I would be similarly resistant to your insistence of using an automobile for its symbol. The unicorn would be the fairest, most neutral way to represent who the community is and what it stands for.

I don’t recall saying such things. You should check yourself mate. I’m here for a friendly debate and exploration. I’m making points around the idea and even coming up with concepts for ya. No need to get heated here (if you are; I don’t know but I sense), or twist my words (which you are with that comment). Let’s keep the conversation thought provoking. :wink:

1 Like

Sorry, @shush. Must have hit the wrong button to quote.

I was referring to @0xb100d. They make those arguments in the thread they posted.

I appreciate you @shush :hugs: Thanks for a spirited discussion :blush:

Ah, all good man! I must have gotten confused on which post was a reply to me. My bad. Cheers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Breaks mono-spaced typography:

Here’s some new concepts:

Top icon has an angle for centering. Bottom is without angle, which means the centering can look off-center.

Instead of ツ as the intermediate symbol, (= could be the intermediate until Unicode includes a custom symbol in the standard.

1 Like

I dont like using Japanese symbol as a currency symbol, confusing and looks strange.

2 Likes

1 Like

I like the ツ as the currency symbol. Simple and efficient

1 Like

Grin

wouldn’t =) make more sense?

1 Like

This way the symbol does not resemble the letter G.

=) is fine too. Though, if we’re using =) why not go with (= ? I suppose it looks too much like the euro currency symbol, but that’s not a bad thing.

I agree! I don’t like the japanese symbol much at all for grin.

@j_patten unfortunately GRIN does not mean smile in most languages as far as I know, so tying it to a smiley face is extremely arbitrary. already we’ve done it with the logo, I dont think it is necessary to make the currency symbol also tied directly to a smile.

If you lined up 100 people from across the globe and asked them what grin meant, I doubt very many would immediately think of the English word for smile.

If the currency was called unicorns, I think using a tiny unicorn as the currency would be very clumsy, and using something like a lowercase “u” would be much more elegant.

I do think the point is to pick a simple, meaningless symbol that applies ONLY to grin currency. That way it is useful only as far as indicating the currency, and has no other connotation. From that perspective, a smiley face completely fails, as it is easily misunderstood, is used in other contexts for other things already, and has a very specific meaning that comes before the currency meaning. I think the possible interpretations should be as close to 1 as we can make it.

ᵹ means only one thing to me! Plus it’s the symbol I used in the official unofficial grin book.

1 Like