Trying to mine Grin on my computer - does BTC.com pool work with GrinGoldMiner?

Hello,

I have a gaming rig running Linux Mint that I’m trying to setup to mine crypto when I’m not using it. IK it won’t be that lucrative, but utilities are included in my rent, so why not? :slight_smile:

I have GrinGoldMiner3 installed, and have an account at pool . BTC . com.

When I run GrinGoldMiner for the first time, it detects my GTX 1660 ti, asks for my mining pool address and login info, and that all goes smoothly. Then I get this:

Init completed for gpu 0 - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti with SUCCESS
INFO    Connected to node us-grin.ss.btc.com.
ERROR   Stratum us-grin.ss.btc.com:1800 Invalid request
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shares (sub/acc/stale/rej): 0/0/0/0     Last share:   4 seconds
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPU 0  : GeForce GTX 1660 Ti  STARTING     Mining at  0.00 gps  Solutions: 0
Last Message: 16:59:02:	Waiting for job....
                                          Total : 0.00 gps
Shares (sub/acc/stale/rej): 0/0/0/0     Last share:   24 seconds
GPU 0  : GeForce GTX 1660 Ti  STARTING     Mining at  0.00 gps  Solutions: 0
   Last Message: 16:59:22:	Waiting for job....
                                          Total : 0.00 gps
ERROR   Stratum us-grin.ss.btc.com:1800 Invalid request`

…And it just keeps repeating output like that.
Any idea what the problem is? Does BTC Pool just not work with GrinGoldMiner? Is there a better pool/miner combo that I should try?

Also, BTC . com asks me for a “Grin address”. I’m assuming this is the address of my Grin Wallet, but when I enter it, it says “address format is invalid”. Any idea why that is?

Thanks!

1 Like

A few questions that will help to assess the issue:

1. Which Grin algorithm are you attempting to mine? (Cuckatoo31, Cuckaroom29, etc). For your card you should be focusing on Cuckaroom29.

2. It may be just a matter of preference, but I have always had better (higher hashrate) results with Gminer v1.9.6. The best pool for Grin is definitely Grinmint. Pretty much any miner that supports Grin will work with any pool that mines Grin - its merely a matter of configuring the miner properly to use the pool you have chosen.

3. Which wallet are you using?

GGM3 no longer works on current grin proof of work, I did not have time to adapt the miner to latest changes as I was extremely busy. Closed source miners would give you better speed anyway.