Stay safe, use GRIN ++

Hello everyone,

If you are not aware CaptainCrypto; has been stolen 20K GRIN. We don’t have more information about what happened.

Remember to never store your cryptos on the exchanges.

Hold & use your GRIN on your wallet.

Not your keys, not your coins.

GRIN ++ (Windows, Mac OS, Linux)

Niffler (Windows, Mac OS, Linux)

Iron Belly (Android, iOS)

7 Likes

Additionally what @Arka said I would like to share my workflow with a Wallet of my choice.
It does not matter which one you use as long as its publicly accepted.

(1) After you download it and installed it on your local system, keep a copy of the installation file or clone the Github repository. When downloading always double check the “hash-values” the developers provide you.

1.1 Safe your recovery seed on an offline medium (Paper, RPI, whatever but offline)

(2) Once you get familiar with the wallet send a small amount to the wallet and test it’s feature. Send and receive a couple of small amounts to get familiar.

(3) Delete everything, except the recovery seed obviously and do a recovery-test. This helps you in case your Laptop breaks or gets stolen or in any other event you can not access your installed wallet.

(4) Keep the wallet updated as GRIN is in process of new hardforks and you need to update your wallet if needed.

Once you completed all these steps, you should be familiar with the wallet and its features as well as the disaster recovery process.

**Summary**

1. Keep Installation file , check hash-values, store recovery seed offline
2. Do tests of the wallet, send/receive small amounts
3. Delete everything (except recovery seed) and carry out an wallet recovery. 
4. Keep the wallet updated
6 Likes

Why delete everything and restore the wallet? Do you admit that the seed phrase may be incorrect or how to interpret it?..

It’s a way for your to test your Wallet-Setup and make sure that your recovery process is working in any case of a failure of your hardware.

In case your Laptop of PC breaks you will be in fear of having lost all coins. But if you did the recovery process voluntarily prior to a failure and at least once with a small amount on it, you gain experience and know what to do in case of a problem.

3 Likes

I do what mike said but I install the software on another machine to test seed restore. In general, it is a bad idea to have the same seed on multiple devices simultaneously, but I like to live dangerously.

2 Likes