Request for: Grin to buy Grin and hold as reserve

then the “emission rate” wording i’ve used is wrong. I meant the % of currently available supply increase per year (grin currently has 30% or smth). So kind of like inflation rate or whatever that would be called.

Edit: to explain it further, the % of value in $ you lose in one year if the marketcap stays the same

1 Like

How is BTC less risky when the address is public and can be blacklisted? Also, just because some people value BTC more than Grin does not make them right.

The CC fund is funky as hell( it should be rolled back into the original fund). I saw a funding request for a newsletter and something else and they got 4500€. Is this being conservative or safe? No push back, just I agree, here’s the cash. But hold Grin, heavens no! :joy::joy::joy:

Why anyone would not want to get paid in Grin and why they would dump it is beyond my understanding. I would love to work on Grin(for free), but I’m just starting to learn Java and Rust will be my second or third language to learn. I understand that some devs are needed, and they have to pay bills. But it seems to me that the CC fund is spending on the wrong things!

1 Like

Grin’s inflation is lower than some of the stuff I buy in the UK. Vitamin c went from £1 to £1.50 since the start of the year. I think Grins inflation is irrelevant. For the simple fact, many people are holding onto Grin.

1 Like

It can be blacklisted the same way as utxos can be grin. But let’s be honest, neither is likely to happen.

I didn’t say i value btc more, i said it’s just less risky, that’s probably an opinion shared by most of the people.

When the request was made, have you publicly opposed it? Not saying the result would be different but the people who were voted to be a part of CC are the ones making the decisions, those are the rules. Everyone can voice their opinion on each request and i’m sure they would appreciate some constructive feedback.

The downtrend in grin’s price is there for a reason. Of course it will bottom at one point, but nobody knows where that point is.

There’s a big difference if a few things go up 50% or everything goes up 50%. If grin goes down 50% that’s the same as everything going up 100%.

2 Likes

I dont know if utxos on Grin can be blacklisted as simple as the BTC wallet can be. I dont know enough to agree or disagree.

These aren’t normal times, so what you think is unlikely might just happen over night. The era of great power wars are very destructive and anything goes. BTC can and will likely be banned as governments attempt to confiscate funds from any source. Even Ray Dalio was warning his friends. about it in his book.

I would disagree. Any rational person with a basic understanding of both would go for Grin majority of the time.

No, I did not think loose monetary policy applied to Grin as well, so I was not paying much attention. :joy::joy::+1:. The CC members should all get sacked like the UK chancellor .:joy:

The price has been stableish for some time. Trying to call the bottom is gambling. The Grin tec is far better than BTC and at these prices the only thing the should matter is which technology is better!

If Grin goes down by 200% it will still be better to hold than BTC, gold, £€¥$¢… Or any other primitive agricultural, industrial, or post industrial era store of value.

1 Like

Doing this Core pronounced the total uslessnes Grin coin not only for themselves and for everybody :wink: they are really grinners.

You guys are forgetting that the tech isn’t everything. How often does the best song win the song contest? Not too often, right? The winner is usually a popular artist with lots of money thrown into marketing. We’re all here because we like Grin, but let’s not pretend the network effects don’t exist. I too believe Bitcoin is the safest to hold both in price value and in terms of securing it (multi-sig). But I agree it would be cool to eventually convert some of it to Grin once the liquidity is good, we have multisig possible and some big exchanges listed us.

2 Likes

Grin always needs to find more new fool’s without them it will struggling very hard but no one is able to fool all people all time only few all time ore only many some time.

Some network effect. I can taint you just for the fun of it! :joy::joy::joy:. Lets be honest, BTC is dead. Its on life support by sheer ignorance and greed.

The real people with money( Ray Dalio for instance) are openly saying they are looking for new technology. And, no, not BTC. I advice listening to the whole interview but listen to what he says @42:00-44:30. A guy worth some 20 billion openly asking about new tech to protect his wealth from destruction and confiscation.

IMO, BTC is still the best store of value out there while Grin is the best digital cash implementation at the moment.
We had many discussions with the community in the past about a) exchanging BTC for Grin, b) how much to exchange and c) how much percentage of payments should be in Grin. Currently we pay groudkeepers and contributors minimally 10% in Grin, most ask for more though, some want 100% payment in Grin.
These were not descisions made just by CC members alone but by the whole community. I see no reason to change these policies for now since they represent the opinion of the majority of the community. Once Grin inflation decreases and more community members ask for it, we can discuss it again and exchange perhaps more BTC for Grin. IMO we would need multisig implemented for Grin at that time to make sure no single person has the power to spend all community funds stored as Grin.

1 Like

If the CC intention was to use Grin for what its meant to be used for it should have bought this absolutely marvelous portrait of Jared Leto from me a long time ago paying with Grin.

Its current price is 2000 ツ, a steal!

You also said

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-12/us-sees-china-as-only-other-nation-capable-of-reshaping-global-order

And I said ( one of my older accounts)

I think I win.So, I value my opinion more than yours,:joy:.

I think there are many lurkers who have an interest in seeing Grin succeed and should not be fobbed off with talk about the community did x, or y already. Or talks about I think.

This is an open source project, so it should be open to talk about anything without some who have been talking on the platform more, or were voted in to x or y position from trying to impose themselves and shutting down a conversation.

Alao, I dont know what a ground keeper is but the CC fund is looking like a slush fund. How do you justify paying €4500 for a news letter? I can understand paying the core devs but I really dont get this CC fund. How do we know that the CC members are not paying themselves or their cousins? But I say put a little BTC in Grin, and its an auto no!

Dude, you are absolutely hilarious. You ok about 10% (€1500) of what I was asking for, for a spell check with a smile. But I ask for an investment In Grin, for Grin and its community did x or community did y! :joy::joy::joy:

If you want people to invest their free time answering your questions/accusations, at least show some respect.

3 Likes

No one is shutting down the conversation, but I have not heard compelling arguments. China something… be scared is not a good argument in my opinion.

Your free to have your opinion, but respect that others (the majority of the community) has another opinion.

Offending people is often a sign of lack proper arguments (and lack of good manners for that matter).
@satoshocrat did other tasks as well, he helped debug the grin node API for example. If you have a problem with a specific funding request, voice your opinion when and where the request is made.

Speculations on whether China will be a superpower has nothing to do with whether BTC should or should not be exchanged for Grin. Posting random links is not the same as providing proper arguments. Stay on topic and voice your opinion politely or you will not be taken seriously.

3 Likes

I wanted my proposal to go for a vote, but it seems like you mafia like to shutdown a conversation before it starts. 3 people on here thought it was a good idea, one comes along and makes point after useless point why it will not happen! Maybe stop trying to block a discussion and you will get respect.

1 Like

As one of the people that “thought it was a good idea”. I thought it was a good idea to have 1% Grin. @Anynomous said we have 1% Grin. Im fine with that. The end.

The rest of this thread has been utter nonsense and I do not support holding 50%-100% Grin as you seem to now want. CC funds should be conservatively managed. 100% Grin would not be conservative, no matter how hard you yell at people.

2 Likes

Your point is irreverent. There is a more serious problem with the CC fund than what you think. I made the point of requesting an investment in Grin because I saw the funds being wasted on spell checks and thought it is better to spend the development funds on holding Grin than spending €6000 on spell checks.

No one is yelling. But the attitude of a lot of you on here stinks, so if you get push back from me is because something stinks!

1 Like

nobody is blocking a discussion, please try to keep this conversation civil. It’s a fact that grin has been losing btc value over time (anyone can check this here). So if you want to change the ratio you need to have a good enough reason for that. You said things like:

• “Lets be honest, BTC is dead” → based on what? that’s a statement without any arguments, nobody likes that.

• “If Grin goes down by 200% it will still be better to hold than BTC, gold” → usually altcoins go down when BTC goes down, and altcoins go down more than BTC at that time, so i don’t see any reasonable explanation for your statement.

• “Any rational person with a basic understanding of both would go for Grin majority of the time.” → please elaborate why that is.

So what’s happening is you’re stating your own vision but fail to give any arguments as to why your vision is good. So please provide some arguments so that this discussion can be useful.

4 Likes