Suggestion: lower grin block rewards and add max grin supply

Philosophical:

What if we adopt the bitcoin/litecoin style of block rewards + max grin supply? Perhaps this a unpopular subject but worth the discussion. In the long run it could bring more stability/balance to the project.

Why? How? Please elaborate.

I meant this more like a philosophy debat / suggestion. There is no why or how, more like: what do you people think type of question. If you get what i mean. :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t read reddit at all ( certainly not about grin.) and what seems for him to be logical perhaps is not for others. Since it would be nice to increase a bit the user activity a decent conversation / debat would perhaps help a bit.

for ( many ) users ( new ones ) these questions are helpful. People do ask about it, people do want to know. People have the whys and the why nots in their minds. So why not talk about it, debat about it and give the reasons and the don’ts.

In the end it would be nice to see the responses and see how the community thinks about it.

edit: just noticed that it was a 4 year old topic you linked ( 2018 )

1 Like

If you want to know what the community thinks, read all the post related to the topic, since, of course, 2018.

1 Like

The initial years are the hardest to get through and changing the emission schedule now would throw away the biggest sacrifice for nothing. The point of the emission curve we have is to distribute the money as fairly as we know how. What good is it if we have a fair start that takes a huge toll on us just to later turn the wheel towards a greedy path? The longer we survive with the emission schedule we have, the easier it becomes to live with it. It’s always tempting to make changes to gain traction, it’s what almost every other project does to keep their relevance. They get the next hyped feature in the system to have something shiny to market to their users/VCs. But making bad changes will only make things worse in the long run. Grin has a better chance if it sticks to the original plan. In the worst case, if Grin dies and nobody mines it, we can at least say it was an honest attempt at a fair distribution.

6 Likes

@siNix In case you have not red it yet, this documentation:

summarize more or less why Grin has chosen for a linear emission rate. You can also get that from reading the long discussion on the forum, but that requires more digging.

Just my opinion, but one of the reasons why a I am more interested in Grin than in Bitcoin and Litecoin is exactly because of the minimal/extremely simple constant block reward, because it is fair, because it is more secure on the long run, because of the economic implications such as stimulating spending etc. A Bitcoin like block reward is ok for a store of value, but not for a currency, and it is most certainly not fair to later adopters.

2 Likes

You have it backward.
In the long run, the yearly Grin supply inflation will be negligible, while the fixed reward keeps incentivizing miners to guarantee stability.
The distribution of coins is perfectly balanced over Grin’s lifetime, while in Bitcoin the last century of block subsidy amounts to just a fraction of a percent of all Bitcoin.

9 Likes

I recommend this podcast particularly for it’s discussion of emission:

https://unchainedpodcast.com/grin-a-more-private-lighter-bitcoin/

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this link. I suggest everyone to listen to that interview, even if you already did in the past like me. Every time I read or listen to old stuff related to Grin’s foundation and especially on governance and vision topics, I find out how wrong I was before. People should do that more often.

I hope that over time many members of the community will recognize past misconceptions and offer a huge apology to the OC and especially to @lehnberg. I will just say that most of my past conceptions regarding Governance were completely wrong, and now I regret some of my past opinions. My bad, I feel stupid.

4 Likes

We all need time to learn.
I remember bitching about developer incomes in the past, also it took me a while to completely grasp the advantages of interactivity. We are all only human. But you are right, it is good to revisit some of the older material since it is as relevant now as it was at that time.

In the past there was also less documentation around, so it was harder to self educate. Now there is good documentation on most things Grin. The next step would be to offer more educational video’s, both on Grin’s fundamentals as well as practical video’s,

4 Likes