New to GRIN mining

Hi. I am new to GRIN mining and I have a pretty good understanding on it. I want to get to know GRIN a bit more before I actually invest in the currency itself and mining it.
I just want to confirm two things:
#1 1G = 1H. So 1GP/S is 1H/S?
#2 There are two versions of GRIN. GRIN 29 (outdated), and GRIN 31+ (ASIC GRIN, and newer)

Any advice or help would be great!
Thanks so much in advance

Its just graphs per second, you can internally call it whatever you want, a scrypt hash is also not comparable to a sha256 hash, they do different things. Dunno if that’s what you meant…

regarding grin 29 and grin 31+, grin works with two different mining algos under the hood, one GPU (and CPU) friendly (cuckarood) and one ASIC friendly (chuckatoo), the network (if everyone agrees) hardforks to prevent ASICs on the GPU friendly algo for distribution reasons (i guess) and transitions to a ASIC only network. It is supposed to happen within ~two years if i remember correctly, with a shift to favoring issuance with the c31+ algo every week a few %.
@tromp knows it all :slight_smile: i’m just a noob myself in the grin world

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I was just confused. I found an ASIC from a supplier in South Korea and it says it mines Cuckatoo31+ but I can only see mining pools for Cuckatoo31. So 31 and 31+ is the same thing?

No, afaik C31 and C32 differ (memory requirements) and there is a transition from c31 to c32 over the course of one year. Dunno if c33, c34,… is a thing :confused:

Cuckatoo31+ is a a choice of Cuckatoo31 or Cuckatoo32 or … or Cuckatoo64.
An ASIC will only be able to handle a few of these, so it’s best to specify which ones. InnoSilicon’s ASICs support Cuckatoo31 and Cuckatoo32. Nothing beyond.

No; one graph is not one hash.
The 1H unit was developed for the Hashcash proof-of-work, where you repeatedly compute some hash, and check if it’s below a target.
Asymmetric proofs-of-work, like Cuckoo Cycle and its family members, do not work like that. I elaborate on that in
https://cryptorials.io/beyond-hashcash-proof-work-theres-mining-hashing/

In Cuckoo Cycle, the work unit is not one hash, but one graph. But most graphs have no solution. Only (on average) 1 in 42 Cuckatoo graphs have a 42 cycle. When you find one, you compute a blake2b hash of the cycle to check if it’s below a target. So in that sense, you might say that 1G = 1/42 H. But it’s better to use graphs per second since it’s easier to measure and it’s more robust. When I tweaked the secondary PoW from Cuckaroo to Cuckarood, the chance of a 42 cycle in a graph doubled. But the solvers have the same graph rate.

could you please briefly talk about the difference in c31…c1000, how is the network rewarding the different weights? Is the plan to transition from one to another,… THX :heart:

It only goes up to C64, since 64 bits is the largest widely supported integer type. 42-cycle solutions are rewarded proportional to the graph weight. The cuckoo project page https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo explains graph weights in section “Dynamic Sizing”.

PoW transitions are discussed in https://blog.blockcypher.com/an-introduction-to-grin-proof-of-work-103aaa9f66ce

2 Likes

Okay. So if I buy this Cuckatoo 31+ miner, I can mine in the btc.com mining pool for “Grin 31”?

Yes, you should be able to mine in any C31/C32 pool.