How to run a GRIN mining pool

Hi All,

I’m trying to run a grin mining pool on my physical server. I installed fresh debian 9.4 and kubernetes (as seems to be required) and docker. I’ve basically followed this guide: https://kubernetes.io/docs/setup/independent/create-cluster-kubeadm/ - and went with flannel.

After that, I tried following this guide - https://github.com/grin-pool/grin-pool/blob/master/ansible/roles/pool/files/README.md - I skipped google could (as I have a physical server), and started doing “kubectl create -f …”

Going by the order outlined in the guide, many of the pods failed. I tried to “kubectl create -f” other .yaml files in the grin-pool/ansible/roles/pool/files/ directory, but that didn’t work as well.

Can someone please help me with getting the pool to run? Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my first time experience with kubernetes, docker, and similar. I have experience in openVZ, basic linux administration, nginx, mysql, Laravel (10+ years as a PHP developer) and other frontend technologies, unfortunately I’m not familiar with technologies used in grin-pool, but would like to run it to support the network and miners (so far testnet of course).

Can anyone please help, and we can then get a detailed guide together on how to run the pool on baremetal debian9 server?

Thank you in advance,
kbs1

1 Like

The kubernetes grinpool repo has a lot of errors and is not a turn key pool software. Hopefully there will be a release of an open source repo for easier deployment of pools to help decentralize the network and create as many pools as possible from the start.

I have opened https://github.com/grin-pool/grin-pool/issues/35 and I hope it gets fixed - I haven’t had the time to play around with grin-pool but from a quick review of the repo I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t work ootb. I think @bladedoyle mentioned in gitter that he is busy trying to finalize the details for his own deployment and then he should be able to improve the open sourced deployment.

@kbs1 can you post the errors you were seeing? Deploying kube for the first time is not the most trivial task. Can you paste the output of kubectl get pods --all-namespaces?

I am dedicated to making grin-pool turn-key open-source solution. I believe Grin will be healthier with more pools, and I hope that some of them will be open-source implementations.

But currently the grin-pool github project remains at ~75% completion. I am currently focused on making MWGrinPool.com production-ready in time for Jan 15. After that excitement has calmed down I’ll have time to filter out my passwords and commit a more complete and better packaged version.

Thanks for your interest.

1 Like

Hi All,

thank you very much for the replies. I now tried going with the Makefile in ansible directory, and got some progress, however the playbooks still failed at some points.

Just to clarify:

1. does the makefile expect a clean ubuntu 18.04 server installation that it can connect to as user “ubuntu”, where it will install kubernetes, docker and all other prereqs?
  2. if I were to supply such server, and the playbooks would eventually succceed, would it produce a working Grin testnet pool, or is the software incomplete in a sense it would still not work, and we need to wait for it to be finished?

I’d like to open a production and testnet pools as soon as possible, to support the project (and mainnet) from the very first day.

Thank you & Best Regards,
kbs1

1 Like

bladedoyle is working on the pool but I would imagine he will opensource the code once the mainnet launches so his pool can capture majority of the hashrate, which is well deserved since he is doing most of the work on the opensource pool code. I know a few people who are working on pools as well.

I’d like to start a free mining pool like https://grin.2miners.com/, is grin-pool · GitHub still working for the moment?
Any comments are appreciate.

i think @bladedoyle has info about it. He was dealing with it, can find him at discord channel.

1 Like

The grin-pool project is defunct.

If I recall correctly it was never updated for the latest grin wallet api changes. Also, the project uses Kubernetes which is too complicated for small pool purposes.

I’ll update the github project README to reflect the current state.