How To Increase Grin Adoption

ah thought it was a mobile wallet because of the shape of the screenshots on their site. It does seem like a good idea though, to just do offline transactions, it’s easy, doesn’t require a persistent internet connection, could be good for a mobile wallet as well.

1 Like

on 3rd sep a tweet raising question on mimble wimble came the other mimble wimble group answered lot but not a single answer from our Grin. I think we should be active like them I wanted to answer but since I am not that good technically could not. If some one from Dev could answer to questions like this will help to bring more awareness.

1 Like

what she is talking about is “MOBILE WALLET”. our krypyonite.:rofl:

Yes Mobile Wallet and mobile wallet will increase adoption we already discussed. But the thing is not a single reply for Grin we may not have Right Now but I am sure we will have this feature as I already said I am not that good technically.

I presume you’re kidding…it’s not about mobile wallets at all. It relates to how Grin takes advantage of mimblewimble so that there are no addresses stored on the chain - you need to interact with the counterparty to send or receive Grin since otherwise there is effectively nowhere for the Grin to go! (Someone more technical, correct me if I’m wrong) I’m not sure to what extent one of the parties can be/go offline and come on subsequently, to complete a transaction that has been initiated, as BEAM claims you can do with its MW coin… it would be good if someone from the Grin core dev team could clear this up vis a vis the current status. Agree with OP that it would be great to have some with expert tech knowledge of Grin to respond to potentially misleading twittering like that :slight_smile:

is’nt that what we are¿ “a private system” ¿

it should’nt be long before tech support sees it. but people are expecting too much from us at this early stage.

Yes you are right. My point is like other MW team replied to this Grin also should reply.

1 Like

The lack of addresses is an unfortunate trade-off rather than a feature. Grin didn’t choose to not have addresses; it is a direct cause of mimblewimble having unique private keys for every single transaction (blinding factor) rather than sending the coins to the hash of someone’s public key (address).

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps you can also say if it is currently the case that both parties need to be online (at the same time) to transact with Grin? (And if there are plans in the future roadmap to provide for asynchronous transactions?)

1 Like

There has never been such a requirement. You can do Grin transactions with carrier pigeons if you wish. The reason both parties need to interact with each other is that both of their signatures are required for the transaction. File transactions have been implemented since the first day, and an alternative is Grinbox, that essentially is an encrypted relay protocol for file transactions (just an additional layer for security and convenience).

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.

Right, yes - it’s not a requirement - you could use pigeons in theory - but for practical purposes, it’s a lot easier and faster if both parties are online simultaneously. The original question stemmed from a claim related to the usability (or otherwise) of Grin.

Well, not necessarily “online”. You could do some QR code stuff IRL perhaps without an internet connection, or a bluetooth transaction, or ultrasound morse code, etc. I think @mcdallas is working on conceptualizing QR code transactions.

3 Likes

“ultrasound morse code” … love it :slight_smile:

Screenshot_20190905-151319 and some guy said “that was how bitcoin was for the first 6 months”

2 Likes

Great idea, what about Telegram too? it seems grin did not have any meaningful telegram community. I am willing to support your plans.

The 2,966 members of t.me/GrinCoin would disagree with you.

4 Likes

Thanks David, I am not aware of this group until now. Good job

Why not tip the service / waitor in grin? Might be possible. Tips are tax free in many countries, so another problem is avoided.

However, the general statement “I cannot pay in -insert crypto currency of choice-” might be too strict. Who knows. Maybe some restaurants might accept crypto. Not the big ones, but the smaller ones, why not. Maybe when the boss is around and is interested.

If there is a smart phone wallet that can be installed on demand (exists for Grin: Ironbelly), it might be worth asking.

1 Like