Grinpost, spreading the Grin ツ word

Many thanks to @tromp for this interview, various viewpoints here…

8 Likes

Welcome Autumn :fallen_leaf: September Newsletter #14

5 Likes

:fallen_leaf: September Newsletter #15

4 Likes

ツ Grin October Newsletter #16 :link:

2 Likes

ツ Grin October-2 Newsletter #17

8 Likes

ツ Grin November 1st week Newsletter #18

1 Like

I think “PIBD Activated!” is a bit misleading because only the RFC transitioned to Active state. The nodes don’t sync with PIBD on the network and won’t for some time.

2 Likes

I second that :point_up:

Also, I don’t think it is very accurate to say this: “shortens the amount of time required to bootstrap nodes”. PIBD definitely increases endurance, but the expectation of making things faster I’m not 100% sure because the same amount of data must be offloaded. If your node is stuck with slow and/or unresponsive nodes the syncing process will be slow. In the long term, when most nodes enable support for PIBD the synchronization will require less time, but in the meantime I think we should avoid creating a false expectation. IMO.

1 Like

it is taken from RFC.

But formerly it all had to be downloaded serially, whereas now at can be done in parallel from many peers.

Yes, but what I contend is that by rolling out v5.2.1 on June 1, 2023 things won’t be any faster the moment after. I think it’s important for the Community to know that it will take time before users start to notice a significant increase in speed.

What I want to avoid are unfounded complaints in the future based on false expectations. I think it’s important to set the right expectation, as we try to do with many other things. Just that.

1 Like

To add to that, I can’t recall if the first PIBD implementation will do that, but it’s possible to do validation in parallel as well which results in a speedup.

Yes, but we have to be more critical and careful with what is written in the newsletter. It is important for Grin to prevent people from reading the newsletter and, based on what is written, starting to form wrong opinions.

2 Likes

#19 Nov 17- Dec 03

9 Likes

#21 January 2023

5 Likes

:gear: GRIN ツ

15th January 2019
15th January 2020
15th January 2021
15th January 2022
15th January 2023
Running…