Grin++ option to select remote node

It doesn’t seem Grin++ has an option to connect to a remote node. Instead, you must run a full node on your phone. Is this correct? Or am I just overlooking the setting?

I would really prefer to connect to a remote node. Has this option been discussed at all?

1 Like

for that you run ironbelly

2 Likes

No, I do not think it has been discussed since IronBelly does exactly what you describe, connecting to either a central node or one you specify yourself. I would not want to spend funds on it right now, but we could optionally make a Grin++light mobile version in the future. From my experience IronBelly works fine though as mobile wallet, so best just to use IronBelly if you want a light node. Grin++ is specifically for if you want a full mobile node with the added security as well as the added system load unfortunately.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. I’ve use Ironbelly before (its great), but I cannot find an APK from a trusted repository. Only available via Google Play or website download.

I don’t trust website downloads for old inactive projects like Ironbelly, because hackers love to snatch up those domains when they expire and host malicious software. It happens all too often in crypto :frowning:

1 Like

I guess I can build from source :smiley:

1 Like

Yes you can, IronBelly is not actively developed but maintained, so downloading form the APP store is safe. I am quite certain @i1skn uses a safe account to to upload to the iOS and Android APP store. Also, if you ask him on telegram, he is always responsive in helping people with questions:

So I would argue IronBelly is still very safe to use.

I didn’t say IronBelly wasn’t safe to use. I just said its unwise to trust unsigned APKs hosted on a website which I have no way of knowing the integrity of.

It looks the the only app stores listing Ironbelly are iOS and Google Play. I don’t have either of those. I have to use F-droid or install the APK manually.

Best to contact Ivan on Telegram, it would be great if he could upload it on F-Droid. I am sure you are not the only one who tries to avoid the Google Play store.

2 Likes

@i1skn could you consider publishing the APK to F-droid?

F-Droid listing for Ironbelly is a bit complicated and tedious process, but I hope to add it there someday. For now you can download an APK from here https://ironbelly.app/

3 Likes

It was worth asking :smiley: Not to be a bother, but would you consider at least PGP signing your APKs?

I love IronBelly, but its hard to recommend friends to put their money into some unsigned software they blindly download from a smalltime (no offense) website which could become domain hijacked one day. PGP signing would be a sufficient compromise, in lieu of FDroid.

Even just publishing the APK on GitHub would be better, since GitHub is much less likely to be domain hijacked without me hearing about it.

1 Like

Yeah, adding signing and publishing it on GitHub are actually good ideas! Thanks, will try to do it soon!

2 Likes

I really recommend setting up your own GRIN node !

When Grin++ enables this feature, you should definitly connect to your own node.
Please know using public nodes, which are not yours are not as secure and private as your own node.

4 Likes

Thank you! I’ve always loved the IronBelly UX, so I’m excited to share it.

I do have one. Two actually :sweat_smile:. And a fully synced grin++ node on my mobile too, so I guess that’s actually three nodes.

Problem is, I can’t connect grin++ to my nodes, so anytime I want to use Grin++ on mobile, I have to wait for it to sync 1k~10k blocks, which takes FOREVER on mobile and isn’t practical for my usecase (hence why I OP’d of this thread). This is especially an issue when mobile suffers to keep peers, and won’t sync with only 2 peers. It can take me an entire day to send one transaction :expressionless:

1 Like

This is also why I recommend new users try IronBelly. Running a node on your phone is cool to a nerd like me, but my friends/family do not enjoy waiting all day for their mobile phone to sync, before they can send me money for lunch. As much as I love grin++, the mobile experience is just not practical for ‘normies’.

2 Likes

This is done. Now link from the Ironbelly website leads to Github releases page, where one can download an APK + signature. Also I’ve provided some basic instructions on how to actually verify signatures. Thanks for the idea!

7 Likes