Chicken{1...4} are not running away - iPollo G1 mini - review and disassembly

If anyone is ever willing to sacrifice an iChicken to the silicon gods (n.b. it does not have to be functional at all; it can be partially or completely broken), there is a lot of information that can be gained by getting the chip professionally decapped and photographed.

For an example of what can be done at the hobbyist level:

From looking at these photos, one can extract information about the structure of the ASIC, the technology node it’s produced on, and even reverse-engineer a rough expected cost of the chip.

3 Likes

Info from VoskCoin

1 Like

Good evening. Does the fan have a 2 pin output? Cooler speed not adjustable? Thanks in advance for your reply.

I’m not sure but it looks 4 pin. Each one of those connectors is a fan.

4 Likes

If you use a 12v 12.5A 150w power supply, the cooler can be increased programmatically to avoid overheating.

1 Like

Thanks for the photo!

1 Like

Great photos!

If the black finned heatsink can be rotated 90 degrees, that would probably be a big win — the airflow would be directly down the fin channels instead of cross to them. I honestly wonder if this is a manufacturing defect. Could apply better thermal paste at the same time.

Also make sure that two of the fans are blowing in, and the other two are blowing out. This is cooling 101, but I’ve seen worse in real life…

Does it run cooler with the case removed?

It looks like the board is elevated a bit, so the plane of the board is at the midpoint of the fans? Is there anything on the bottom of the board that is taking up space? What’s under there?

4 Likes

Sorry for the late reply.
Repositioning the fans dropped the temp from 96.4 ℃ to 56.1 ℃.
Yes, runs cooler with case removed.
Some screws were stripped so could not expose the bottom sorry.
I took a picture hoping it will help :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Ahhhh, that makes much more sense — the ASICs are certainly under those monster heat sinks, which are oriented correctly.

Nice! How did you reposition the fans?

1 Like

I just flipped two of them so the air flows like your diagram. The fans originally came all facing out. Thank you for the tip!

3 Likes

Hello. I did an experiment today. I connected emulators instead of fans. I am planning to use CRYSTAL PLUS 70T in immersion fluid. Later I will post a photo after the dive. Summer is coming, it will be very hot.

2 Likes

1 Like

Just connected to the G1 Mini using ssh port 22.
Was looking around and searching for the cgminer/asicboard frequency settings.

In /etc/init.d/cgminer file there are some settings saved like pwm for fan and pool adress.

Did someone figure out how to change the frequency of this little chicken?

Pretty sure it can be overwritten - just find the right screw.

Would like to do a slight increase to 1.4 Graphs per second since the temperature is far in the green area.

iPollo build some fork of cgminer, I saw with command cgminer --help there are some custom calls specific for G1 Mini. But also only for fan control.

Maybe it is possible to overwrite the gpio configs, some embedded dev here?