Announcing the Grin node subteam

Announcing the Grin node subteam

In keeping with our new fledgling governance process, we are launching the node subteam alongside the nascent wallet subteam.

What is a node?

• p2p layer
  • validation of consensus rules
  • block processing pipeline
  • transaction processing (transaction pool, Dandelion etc.)
  • “fast sync” process
  • local storage (db + MMRs)
  • network stability & performance
  • PoW - Is this part of node subteam?

Responsibilities of the subteam are outlined in the governance RFC above but generally, a node subteam member will be assisting with:

• Reviewing relevant RFCs and deciding the future direction of “the node”
  • Reviewing other subteam RFCs as necessary (wallets interact closely with nodes, for example)

Bootstrapping

The first order of business is to define the structure of the subteam and sort out fundamental questions like “How is it organized?” and most importantly “Who are the members?”. These are purposefully being left as open questions here, with the hopes that the community will decide.

So for now, the initial node subteam consists of an open keybase channel.
Please join this channel if you are interested in assisting with the formation of the subteam.

Keybase channel:

grincoin.teams.node_dev

Initial team structure and membership are currently undefined so please get involved early and help define this.

Edit: @lehnberg brought up the question of “Does PoW fall under the grin node subteam?”. I don’t think we have a good answer either way for this right now. So lets add resolving that to the list of things we need to do as part of bootstrapping this subteam.

8 Likes

For now I think it should be. If there are significant PoW-specific developments it can be split out later…

I agree. Being that part of the node’s definition is the validation of consensus rules and block processing pipeline, any changes to PoW would impact those.