What is the intended market/use-case of Grin?

What is the purpose of Grin? What in your opinion is the use-case of Grin? Why would someone use Grin versus the other 1,000+ coins?

Merchants online won’t like the lack of transaction proof. There are other privacy coins with bigger networks already extant. And then there’s the issue of why people should use Grin instead of dollars, debit cards, PayPal, Venmo etc. People can hoard cash in their mattress and use dollars privately with no bank control now, so why Grin?

What, in your opinion, is the reason for Grin, specifically versus all the other coins and traditional payment methods that already exist? Who is Grin for? And how would you convey this idea in marketing?

2 Likes

There are other privacy coins with bigger networks already extant.

Eh, I’d pass on those, xmr is a real competitor but everything else is hot dogshit

There’s a thing called online shopping. The dollars in your mattress aren’t much use for that. That would seem to be one use case.

Since you can’t verify transactions in Mimblewimble, it can never be used for a valid online store. And if it could be, you failed to explain why someone wouldn’t use bitcoin or litecoin instead. You obviously don’t think about crypto seriously at all.

1 Like

Logically speaking, even one coin, like Monero, with a bigger network, more acceptance, and more estabilished would still raise the question of why Grin. The argument would be irrelevant whether there were 1 coin to compete with Grin or a 100. So, why Grin, not Monero then?

1 Like

Since no one appears to have any ideas on why someone would use Grin, you would have to admit you’re simply wasting time and having fun, but no one seems to be willing to speak on behalf of this project being specifically competitve. Still waiting - crickets so far. Not one serious, specific answer yet.

1 Like

Grin has the same use case as Monero: digital money, with a focus on privacy. The question on why Grin, not Monero has two aspects in my mind, unrelated to a marketable use case: tech and economics. On the tech side, Grin is more scalable. On the economics side, Grin’s emission schedule is fairer. Both aspects will be more obvious in the long run. You may choose to ignore these aspects and move along, but there is obviously a whole community that thinks otherwise.

3 Likes

Since no one appears to have any ideas on why someone would use Grin,

Was that a 3 minute window between your response to me, to that declaration?

I could just not care to correct you, someone not believing in something I like, is not really that harmful, markets are driven by people in them; its not a democracy if you don’t put skin in the game your opinion literally stops mattering. The half dozen people buying in to an unhealthy market without considering the risks on the other hand, is an actual problem.

mw has non interactive transaction combining and thats downright not a thing elsewhere.

Grin’s emission schedule is fairer

Can you drop that?

Every coin is grasping in the dark at what would even be “fair”

1 Like

Exactly. It may be difficult to see why, but I can imagine that some people would not care to rebut you, @SiriusB. I might put myself in that category, currently. On the other side of that coin, I am curious: what is your motive in posting negative commentary here?

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more about the “grasping in the dark” comment but I think it’s healthy to be explicit about everything and have these discussions upfront. So no I don’t really buy dropping that. A raw definition of what I mean as “fairer” can be deducted from other threads on the Grin emission schedule and by comparing with Monero’s schedule that has tail emission kick in in three years.

1 Like

Better logo than any competition.

Also the attempt to make running a node have lower overhead than competitors also is an attempt to make it “fairer.” Be your own bank works best if you can actually run the bank software yourself. And regarding the fairness of the distribution, it is objectively fairer by a bunch of metrics. The window to hoard all your bitcoin was very short before it started becoming too expensive to buy many of, this is hypothetically solved by grin. This means more people can “get bags” more easily. We don’t know yet if this is better game theory wise, but it is definitely going to give people more time to find out about grin and start messing with it before a grin is worth a bunch of money.

Regarding proving transactions: this is the same as cash. A merchant cannot prove you paid them in cash except by keeping the best records they can. This is in many ways a feature of grin and not a bug. It’s also trivially easy to use other methods (like a self-hosted grinbox.io instance) if you are a business and want to incorporate some proof of tx. There is ongoing discussion on how to accomplish this with minimal tradeoffs: https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin/issues/2652

TMGOX.com just implemented grin payments. It would not work if it was not possible to wait to confirm that a transaction ocurred and blocks have been mined on top of the transaction block. (thanks to hashmap and cycle42).

Intended market/use case is the same as bitcoin/monero or cash, except that it is based on the lessons people have learned in the past years about how to launch a blockchain, and it does some super interesting new math to keep things private and lightweight. We are so early in the history of these non-sovreign currencies there’s no way to say who will win. Bitcoin could completely disappear in 50 years, and looking at the number of companies that were the first mover in their niche only to be replaced by better products, it seems likely bitcoin will be more historical than practical. There is no reason not to create diversity of experiments and see who fares best, for the sake of everyone. We can learn in these early days and someday maybe actually succeed in the goals of non-sovreign global electronic cash on a large scale.

Why are there more than one type of bird? Why do countries not all just use the Euro across the globe?

5 Likes

An actual answer - thank you

You’re basically suggesting a crypto Venmo.

1 Like

I didn’t say anything negative in what I typed, at all. I simply asked a question about use cases. If you are threatened by an objective question about a target market or niche, that should tell you something.

1 Like

OK another actual answer - thank you.

I’m asking to assess the coin. I’m just asking, because in marketing or valuation, it’s not so much ‘what-is’ as ‘what-people-think-is’.

1 Like

Can you elaborate on this

1 Like

And a future quote for all the easily triggered, courtesy of Ben Shapiro, “Facts don’t care about feelings.”

1 Like

I’m not sure if it was tromps or igno, but the flat rate was a lazy attempt to stomp down on speculation, as a degenerate specultor it a isn’t going to work at all and b kinda a dick move.

Responsity comes from reasonable expectation of knowledge on coniquences, and academics are not known for thier economic realism and flat out commie tendencies, and the agruments in favor of speculation are not common knowledge; so your all in the clear, but I’m still fairly irratied about it.

It would be nice if you didn’t circle jerk about your high moral standing; while there are a few names of poeple who bought early who are still in denile about how much the price point being sub 12 is going to hurt when they need a bit of money in a year form now, for making the small error of confusing good tech and trustworthy poeple with trusting your economic judgements.

1 Like

My bad, I had confused you with another forum member who posted here with primarily negative statements about Grin. Looking into your post history, I see I have made a mistake. Please accept my apologies.

2 Likes

Sometimes I forget that people are actually reading this stuff - if I were you I wouldn’t take my word as an investment advice. I am all for lazy attempts to saddle speculation.

1 Like