Proposal for next Summer - (similar to) Google Summer of Code

Perhaps you have heard about the Google Summer of Code (GSoC).

What is Google Summer of Code?

Google Summer of Code is a global program focused on introducing students to open source software development. Since its inception in 2005, the program has brought together 15,000+ student participants and 12,000 mentors from over 118 countries worldwide.
Source: Google Summer of Code

After our last hard-fork v5 in aprox. beginning of 2021 , we could think about attracting some students to work on GRIN open-source projects.

In the past I have been active working and helping for another chapter of GSoC (Honeypots) as well as writing white-papers and its a great opportunity to get some exposure and possible interesting projects for GRIN. If we can not apply for GSoC directly we could think about internally sponsoring some students for their summer vacations (max 3 month) to work on some GRIN open-source tools.

What do you think about this idea?

9 Likes

I think it’s a great idea! Let me know if I can be of help writing some proposal for this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool, i like the idea. we could decide on different subjects like payment processor for wordpress, or any other CMS

1 Like

Love the idea! Would not mind getting my own hands a bit dirty with coding. Maybe a Python wrapper to help myself and others play around with grin-wallet and help parse the blockchain.
A payment processor is unfortunately not in my skill set, this would indeed be something nice to provide funding for.

1 Like

This would be in generell very helpful.
What would the parser be capable of ?

We are collecting ideas and we could have a look at the GSoC guidelines how to apply for projects.

This is the github page for the guy who made beam payment processor and all the bots for the various chat programs, among other things. It is in python https://github.com/vsnation

1 Like

I am currently working on a parser to convert the Bitcoin blockchain into RDF (research description framework) data triples using the bitcoin-core API. Basically a large graph database that unpacks the data stores in the blockchain, annotates where possible, clustering of adresses into wallets etc. Here I can reuse a lot of code. The purpose is to trace malicious actors and research.

With Grin I am not sure what is possible since I have not played with the blockchain yet. Second comes the question what the purpose would be, what are the use cases we want to facilitate? Since Grin does not use adresses its a totally different game than Bitcoin
I would not mind brainstorming with others on this although I am very limited in time. No lack of enthousiasm for anything Grin though :grin:

1 Like

You want to apply for chainalysis in your future career development path :smile: ?
Seems interesting work. Similar work may be interesting to do on grin, using patterns such as transaction aggregation within the dandelion protocol for example. But I am a bit of a noob

@Kurt It is interesting work. I do it as a side project to help me with future projects and just for the fun.
For now the target is to fill a bit the gap between professionals like chainanalysis and small business owners and researchers who want to do chain analysis. If there would also be an open accessible taint database I could get the data from, this could for example help small business owners and small time exchange to check for tainted coins which is a legal requirement for their operation in The Netherlands.
The conversion of the data is not a big issue, but the annotation with extra information such as IP adresses from the transaction relay, annotation of OP_RETURN statements mapping them to known services and annotation of wallets (e.g. Binance wallets, Huobi, Kraken,…) is difficult and will not be on par with chainanalysis. Since this project is done next to my work and familly it only progresses slowly.
For now no plan yet to apply for a job with chainanalysis, I like being my own boss. Who knows, maybe in the future.

1 Like