Opinions regarding Grin

(Rolling eyes) Just try to answer the question. You have twisted it again to suit your agenda. Proving you don’t understand it at all. If you can’t answer the question then stop trying to sabotage it. Contribute to the discussion instead of derailing it for once.

I repeat, all your previous answers have failed to address the question asked.

I assure you I have no agenda, my miner is not being used by the new actor or he/she has opted to disable fees. But as per your request, I yield from any further derailing answers or answers in general.

3 Likes

All small cryptocurrencies can easily be attacked by a large mining farm. The fact that this actor easily could have attacked us but didn’t is a good sign, not a bad one. The possibility was always there, so what we essentially learned is that there’s probably at least one huge farm that isn’t hostile.

As far as I can see, there really isn’t anything to see from a development standpoint. It’s simply crypto stuff happening in a crypto world.

So you saying that the fact that someone could easily attack Grin is no big deal because it’s more important he didn’t?!

How can you even argue that any actor could easily attack Grin as being a good thing

Dude, save some face. I am past the point that Grin can be easily attacked. No point denying this obvious fact. I am more concerned with what action has been taken by the council or anyone to remove this risk.

So far, all I have gotten by @jaspervdm is that they created subteam(s). The response has been irrelavent and lacking to say the least.

Again, all coins are susceptible to 51%-attacks. This isn’t special to Grin, and there’s no action the developers can take to mitigate this. This is obvious to anyone who understands blockchain technology well enough, which is why there is nothing to discuss in that regard. Until someone discovers a new consensus protocol (looking at you, Team Rocket) we will have to accept that the possibility of 51%-attacks is inevitable for small networks.

Read what I said again, but more carefully, and you’ll realize that I didn’t say what you misinterpreted (intentionally or not) me to have said.

1 Like

I agree it is obvious

Hugh disagreement there dude. Quiet a lot of actions can be taken. The most obvious of which is trying to get the masses to mine grin. I thought that this would be… as you put it… ‘obvious to anyone who understands blockchain technology well enough’

If you think “trying to get the masses to mine grin” is a worthwhile cause, feel free to devote your time to it

I already have. I’ve started threads, created content and shared information along different social channels.

But one person working on this isn’t gonna satisfy the drastic results that is sorely needed. This is a blaring flaw and real risk that will remain until addressed. The position of the council looks to be: OMG we have a huge issue but you know what, let’s forget about it and hopefully it will go away. I assure you it won’t. I don’t want to see a day come when you and many of this community look back and say: I wish we actually listened and did something about it.

I’ve been nagging about this for weeks. Perhaps if people actually helped take action we wouldn’t have had a situation as we did 3 days ago.

For the record: The actor could not have easily “attacked us”. Atleast from the data I’ve seen.

Network hashrate went from just over 1MGps and peaked at roughly 1.86MGps. So lets say a maximum 860KGps of new / unknown hash.

When the network peaked at 1.86MGps, Sparkpool had ( 6xx.KGps), F2pool had( 4xx KGps) so a combined hashrate greater than 1MGps. Thus no single entity( node) ever had enough hash to carry out a 51% attack.

2 Likes

Looking at the data, Sparkpool can EASILY do a 51%. They already account for 46% of C29 and 65% of C31.

1 Like

Wrong. Spark currently has close to 35% of the network( C29). 500KGps of 1.48 MGps.
You are not taking into account the private node( unknown hashrate- which is also around 500KGps)

Also, Spark is an established/ respected pool. It’s very unlikely they would purposely act as a dishonest node. So even if they had >51% the probability they used it in a malicious way would be slim. It’s a private pool, running modified node software that typically carries out attacks.

4 Likes

This is the type of discussion that is needed.

This is not FUD.

2 Likes

35% share of C29 is still Very concerning. Their share of C31 is even way more (definately majority, surprised you failed to mention this).

Sparkpool is still an entity, and should it achieve a majority, they can take control. It’s not a question them using it for good or not. It’s a central entity which WILL only take its interests and not that of the whole community.

Yes my friend, once we get 51% of the Grin network we shall immediately start double-spending on https://tmgox.com/ and we will get all the hats for free while ruining our reputation and steady income forever.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your true intentions @SparkPond.

One thing you could do is create a billion grin and dumb the whole market. This way you can get a ton load of btc and up your game to mining the best coin. Or maybe exit scam afterwords and live in Hawaii (I hear you can swim with turtles there)

Thanks for explaining this - it helps to put any potential threat from the hashrate increase in context for me anyways. I was also forgetting about the private nodes’ hashrate :upside_down_face:

A 51%-attack does not give the ability to create coins out of thin air.

1 Like

This sudden increase of hashrate is somehow strange for me too. Could be good, could be bad…

My main concern is that alts are doing horrible for months. This is the first time I see BTC moving fast, but alts don’t follow, GRIN included. Although GRIN has been fighting to stay in top 100, which is good considering its 8 months old. I’ve been around for a while and this is the first time I see alts so rekt. I really dont know how to read that :slight_smile:

Just my 2 GRIN

That’ll only take 32 years or so, at a yearly emission of about 31.5M ツ …

2 Likes

I’m just a shoe salesman but I think alts are going to get smashed in the coming years (if not months) due to mass regulations and new taxes on gains from trading. Things like decentralized exchanges, p2p, privacy are going to become more and more popular/important as big business and government starts coming into the picture. All of that means people will need Grin as a sanctuary from our own stupidity as we try to figure out the right way to do things. More than that though, I like this project because of its wholesome, bleeding edge yet minimalist nature. Rust is a state of the art language which is being leveraged to implement an exciting new crypto protocol in Mimblewimble, so for that reason I’d be in regardless.

3 Likes