Intro/Greetings (zardi)

I’ll be doing some more reading about Grin. A number of community members on twitter have already sent me a bunch of links to check out.

Here’s a question that comes to mind: How would Grin deal with a potential spam attack?

For example, Zcash was recently spam attacked — the chain was bloated from less than 40GB last year to nearly 220GB today. The attack was extremely cheap to orchestrate on Zcash because they have a foolish fee mechanism where all transactions have a fee of 0.0001 ZEC — no matter how many outputs a transaction has. Moreover, the ECC (the corporation behind Zcash) can’t even address the issue with their proposal (ZIP 317) until they clean up a ton of technical debt first, so Zcash will likely continue to be spam attacked for quite some time.

I was able to find this link:

While it does go over how bitcoin, Ethereum, and basically every other blockchain would deal with a potential spam attack, it doesn’t explicitly point out how Grin would. ツ

Grin already uses sensible fees that are directly proportional to bandwidth and storage costs [1]. So the only thing that could be done if we see unnatural increases in block size that are suspected to be spam, is to scale up the fees by a large factor, e.g. x10.

This would require

1. having as many network nodes and mining pools as possible change the accept_fee_base value in the node configuration, and

2. also making wallets default to using these higher fees.

It would be quite a headache to coordinate these changes across all node and wallet implementations, but this seems to way to go if we are determined to make spam more costly…

[1] grin-rfcs/0017-fix-fees.md at master · mimblewimble/grin-rfcs · GitHub

1 Like

Not sure this would have any impact on a spammer, because he wouldn’t want to upgrade to the new wallet software.

Only way to mitigate spam is to have fees scale with usage

1 Like

As long as the networkof nodes and miners have changed to the higher fee, transaction from the spammer with low fees will not be accepted and not be incorporated in blocks.

That’s not for the spammer, that’s for normal users still needing to have their tx relayed and mined into blocks…

Can it be done in such a way that network fees can be increased or decreased automatically like ETH? When the network traffic is congested, the cost is high, when the network traffic is low, the cost is low.

1 Like

is that actually how it works now? i would be surprised if a transaction with lower fees than node’s minimum is dropped by the node

Grin already supports 16 different fee prioritization levels to let users pay more fees to get their transactions included sooner.

In theory, minimum relay fees could be made dependent on mempool size for instance, but it seems premature to add such complications when blocks have never been full yet.

1 Like

In short, transactions with a fee below the minfee will not be relayed and kept in the mempool.

For clarity, let’s adopt the following definitions. Let the feerate of
a transaction be the fees paid by the transaction divided by the transaction
weight with regards to block inclusion (Transaction::weight_as_block).
Let the minfee of a transaction be the amount of fees required for relay and mempool inclusion.
A transaction paying at least minfee in fees is said to be relayable.

Also, the weight of the fee depends on the amount of space used:

The only way to avoid this mismatch between relay and block inclusion incentives
is to make the minimum relay fee be proportional to the block weight of the
transaction.
A user can always outcompete the spammer for block space using a higher fee:

@JasperKai, just like with Bitcoin, higher fee gets priority:

When blocks fill
miners are incentivized to pick transactions in decreasing order of feerate.
Ideally then, higher feerate transactions are more relayable than lower feerate ones.

2 Likes

Of course those need to be dropped; it’s Grin’s only defense against dos attacks on the relay network.

Does btc do the same thing?

Most BTC nodes do. Bitcoin core has an Incremental Relay Fee parameter “minrelaytxfee” described as:

Fee rate (in BTC/kB) used to define cost of relay, used for mempool limiting and BIP 125 replacement.

I believe this is set to 0.00001 by default.

3 Likes

Ah, so this is only necessary, because wallets today don’t do fee estimation. I see now. Obviously its not a concern today, but at some point we probably want wallets to provide fee estimations based on chain congestion and user priority. Until then, we are somewhat vulnerable to a spam attack, if someone was willing to pay for it.