Help us brainstorm and score Grin Risks!

This is awesome. Lots of large game scenarios that I initially didn’t consider when I was focused on the small game of understanding the crypto.

It does feel a little odd though that @igno.peverell disappearing is at the top of the list. While core/founding members are very valuable, for people new to the project wanting to get involved it feels a little “cult”-y (I dunno if that’s a word, but you get the idea lol). Maybe change that to say “core contributors abandon the project”?

Also, I think another risk is that “community engagement and support is lacking”. While talking about risks in price, mining, and exchanges is good… it’s also missing the main point that any blockchain is only as strong as it’s community. A strong community is what enables technology to grow into a real usecases beyond speculation or motivations for financial gain. Currently the core developers have a strong community, and that’s reflected in the various risks in the spreadsheet. I believe there is equal risk in the 3rd party developer and end user ecosystems as well.

• Will people stick with the platform or move onto the next shiny thing?
  • Will users who use the service or run nodes be prosecuted (like with Tor)?
  • Will users accidentally send Grins to the wrong addresses or lose their keys and somehow lose their funds?
  • Will third party developers build services that are easy to use, but insecure and include fatal bugs that cause users to lose money or leak data, resulting in negative PR and less adoption?
  • Will TLAs mascaraed as third party developers and build services that are easy to use, but insecure and include fatal bugs that cause users to lose money or leak data, resulting in negative PR and less adoption?
  • Will TLAs put pressure on social networking platforms to block Grin communities (Twitter, Discourse, Reddit, Mailchimp, etc…) making it hard for people to engage with or learn about the community and technology?
  • Will blogs and reporters incorrectly state things about Grin that cause people to lose interest? (like this post I just asked about on the forum)?
  • Will “rival” blockchains/services spread lies and rumors that are untrue?
  • There’s only so many Rust and crypto developers out there, and they might choose to work with more “respectable” and socially accepted projects that have a shinier image like Zcash (or one of the many other ZK crypto startups emerging)?

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like