Grin++ Status Update - Jan 9

Greetings fellow Grinners,

Its been a while since I’ve given a status update on Grin++[1], so here’s the good news and the bad:

Good News #1: Grin++ is still going strong, and although not all of the code is currently on the main repo, a fully-functional node exists that covers the entire protocol. That code will all be pushed once I’ve finished testing it and I’m happy with everything.

Good News #2: Timeline and details are still being worked out, but I estimate that within 1-2 weeks after mainnet launch, the stratum protocol will be implemented, allowing users to mine against their Grin++ Node using their favorite miner.

Good News #3: An incredibly generous, soon-to-be announced Donor is going to be funding work on this project for a while as part of a larger initiative they’re about to announce (hint: You might want to hurry up and get your ticket to GriconUS, if there’s any left)

And then of course, there’s the bad news…

Bad News: I tried hard…Really really hard…To have a windows-compatible Grin wallet ready for mainnet. I have failed you, and for that I apologize. I had to choose between releasing a buggy node and buggy wallet, or releasing a secure, stable node and no wallet. I’ve always felt that if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right, so sadly, there will be no windows wallet available by January 15th. A wallet is in progress though, and I will continue to work hard to deliver an easy-to-use, Windows-first wallet as soon as I can do so safely.

As always, if you’re a windows, C++, web, or any other kind of developer who would love to help out, we would love to work with you. Just message me on gitter, or if you prefer, my email address is very easy to find, and I try to be very responsive. I’m friendly and approachable, so don’t hesitate to reach out.

Also, if you plan on being a user of Grin++, I’d love to hear more about how you plan to use it, and what features you’d love to see.

I hope to see you all at GrinConUS!! Good luck with your mainnet mining, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

[1] https://github.com/GrinPlusPlus/GrinPlusPlus

8 Likes