Grin Economy and miner revenue

Now im willing to talk more about the problem we have to face it to become a high market cap coin and discuss why it will takes longer than usual for Grin to reach afew billion market cap.

as i mentioned before Grin mining can be very profitable but miners have to sell at least half of theirs mined coins for mining costs and in case of Grin it means alot of coins need to be sell and we always will have very high sell pressure and it will impact the price of GRIN for a longer time because the nature of constant block reward.
so how we can reduce the sell pressure?
how we create demand that fit our supply?
this is two most important questions we need to find real and practical answers to.

thank you for reading.

2 Likes

I am not sure it needs solving, time takes care of that naturally. And grin is a time coin :wink:
As far as I can see, Grin has bottomed out, meaning slowly (but acceleration over time), Grin’s market demand start to outpace its supply, meaning Grin’s price is going up.
Not to forget the recent investment in Grin++ and IronBelly mean the ecosystem starts to mature as well making it more attractive for regular users without much technical expertise. Also, having the first ASIC’s being made available right now is very good for Grin’s security and attractiveness for miners. To further increase adoption, the following could help

• Two step transactions
  • More listings or DEXes, e.g. Grin/Bitcoin pairs to trade Grin
  • Software to integrate Grin in webshops (there used to be some around but I think not longer supported)

So in short, I am not sure there is much of a problem since it was known from the beginning Grin would devaluate in the early years and it appears we have found the bottom, meaning Grin’s future is bright. The points above will be worked on and hopefully solved over time, making Grin even more magical than it already is.

5 Likes

Yes.that’s all true. im also interested in DeFi space as pillar to create more demand for crypto currency. i really think if we can make Grin accessible to other platform and then large grin holders and miners could borrow USD against theirs Grin holdings or somehow they can get some APY for theirs Grin holdings its a big deal for demand.
I myself don’t know much about technical terms of how DeFi platforms are created or how they worked but our talented developers can do something about it.
I also think Ethereum is the winner smart contract platform for the use of people and ETH will win them all so as Bitcoin we need to create Wrapped Grin or some on Ethereum.

:thinking:This is true for crypto’s that are used as store of value and have high transaction cost and long transaction time, such as Bitcoin.
Grin is more liquid, transactions are cheap and transactions have good privacy. Therefore I think for the time being trading pairs to allow buying of Grin would be more important since it is desirable to use Grin as cash, not only hold it as investment. Once Grin matures and becomes more interesting for long term holding and blocks are getting full increasing the transaction price, it might become interesting to wrap Grin.

1 Like

yes but Ethereum smart contracts can help us make some good useful Dapps for Grin ecosystem.

That is true, in general Ethereum has a lot of potential. Hope Bitcoin crashes some more today so I can stassh both BTC and ETH. If Bitcion is the king, Ethereum certainly is the queen of crypto :wink:.
The reason why I am not super enthousiastic about wrapping Grin, is because I like Grin’s intrinsic properties. Once it gets wrapped transactions are not private or highly scalable anymore, but of course there might be interesting dAPP applications, I am not much of an expert on those either.

1 Like

are the numbers for the ipollo puting out ROI or payback of investment really 15 days ?

Where does this number of 15 days come from?
From the top of my memory I though ipollo mentioned an ROI in 3 months, assuming there are not enough miners around to increase the hash rate. Since I assume there are enough miners to increase the hash rate, an ROI in 6 months is more realistic I think. The biggest X factor is that it is uknown how many G1 mini miners have been produced and when the G1 normal miner will be released.

If you want to calculate ROI for the mini. Graph rate is 1.4, 100 W power consumption
So asuming for example electricity costs of 0.10, pool fee of 1% and 600 dollar for a G1 mini, the ROi would be in 91 days :money_mouth_face:! Indeed amazing!
However, you should assume there will be enough miners to increase the hash rate, so expecting an ROI of 3-6 months is more realistic. In either case, it still is a good deal, hence I ordered two of these babies.
https://www.coincalculators.io/coin/grin_32?Hashrate=1.4&HashFactor=h&Watt=100&ElectricityPrice=0.1&PoolFee=1&HardwareCost=600&LH=&Difficulty=24

=> Another very nice part of the G1 miner, is the low power consumption of 100W, this means that even while mining on green electricity with a very high electricity price (e.g 0.27$), I still have a very good ROI. This is in general a nice and unique property of Grin’s Graph based proof of work algorithm, it is low on power consumption (good for the plannet), but requires good hardware/fast memory. This also means that even if the hash rate would increase drastically when more miners are released, running your G1 mini miner is still cost effective since electricity is not a big factor. So contrary to most miners, you can use them for many years and still mine grin cost effectively when much faster miners would be produced.

2 Likes

is there a asic miner for Grin? i didn’t know.

@Grinbuddy
Yes, there is an ASIC available. The G1 Mini is available in limited supply, still waiting for the shipping which is supposed to be at the end of january. You also have the normal G1 miner, which is basically an upscale of the G1 Mini, so more chips which is not yet available to my knowledge. The graph rates per watt are the same for the G1 and the G1 mini. See link for the product page:
https://www.ipollo.com/ipollo_en/boluokuangji.html
See this forum post of Garry testing the G1 Mini prototype:

1 Like

thank you for your reply
sorry for the lack of references but based on the algorithm and a couple different miners take a look here you can match the different miners with the GRIN and MWC but it seems a little too good to be true
heres a link
(Cuckatoo31 Mining Hardware Profitability Comparison | Cryptominer Deals)
but i would appreciate your insight also are u presently mining any coin now?

1 Like

See this forum threat for my answer: