Building the First Grin Exchange

Sorry I did not had time yet to look closer into Grin. So if there is no address how do you send coins to someone else?

There is a brief explanation here and you can find docs about how the grin wallet works here. There is also wallet713 which adds an address-based scheme on top of Grin, by using Grinbox relays.

1 Like

Just to make it more clear, what I call an address can be any string which has the function like an address in Bitcoin. A public key can be used as well or a payment code.

Bisq does not implement anything for the asset we only want to have input validation to avoid user mistakes and to have a spam filter for getting too many shitcoins (copy pasters fail to do a PR).

The trade peer receives the address string as text and need to use his altcoin wallet to send the funds. He confirms then the sending in Bisq and the BTC seller receives a message to check in his altcoin wallet if he received it. After confirming receipt in Bisq the trade gets completed.

So all the handling of sending and confirming receipt of the altcoin is a manual process outside of the scope of Bisq. That makes it very easy for us to add any altcoin. In future there are some improvements planned (e.g. use block explorers to check sent/receipt state, integrate local wallets via RPC,…).

@kargakis Thanks for the links!
Actually the Grin tx creation protocol is pretty similar to Bisq trade protocol (both users create in a roundtrip the multisig deposit tx).

So instead an Grin address there is the network address (IP:port). That should be basically enough info for Bisq traders to send/receive Grin. I assume IP4 and IP6 are supported (just asking for validation code).

The message field would be useful to allow matching transactions with trades with same amounts. The Bisq trade ID can be used as message.

Are Tor onion addresses supported as well? Just asking as that would be for sure requested by Bisq users.

Actually after reading a bit more about wallet plugins, it might be an interesting project to add Bisq as plugin and use the Bisq P2P network (Tor hidden services) as network layer for the tx protocol.
Maybe some dev will take that challenge… I might set up a bounty once basic integration is done.

@jaspervdm When do you think your service will be in production?

2 Likes

Ah and another question: What is the ticker symbol for Grin? I want to get it added in the upcoming release mid of that week in Bisq and we need to assign a ticker.

see VOTE on Grin's currency code

… it seems not decided atm.

1 Like

Thanks. I saw GRIN was used already by miners… Would be my favorite as well.

Saw this exchange is gonna support:

1 Like