Request for Funding @scilio (CoinSwap Implementation)

Thank you for the diligence and excellence, Scilio.

1 Like

Glad to hear that. I’ll take this opportunity to remind about some minor checks that would still need to be done about duplicate inputs/outputs which would stall the process that we left here for the next one.

2 Likes

@scilio I know you have been making some nice progress:
keybase://chat/grincoin.teams.wallet_dev#general/9472
How about a short bullet-point update here, so the community can show/like their appreciation for your efforts :smiley:

4 Likes

How’s the project going hax0rs need

@scilio Any updates on the progress of the CoinSwap implementation?

2 Likes

The (very) long overdue pull request for milestone 2 is now ready for review.

The description of the PR lists some deviations from the original project plan. I included much of the milestone 3 work in milestones 1 & 2, but I haven’t yet added reorg support.

Unless there are objections, I would like to push basic reorg support to milestone 3 with the understanding that much of the more complex milestone 3 work was completed earlier. In its current form, the coinswap server should be fully operational, but if a malicious miner is able to reorg a swap transaction out, the server does not attempt to recreate it.

16 Likes

Are you planning to add tests to the code, right?

I plan to improve test coverage, but there are tests at the bottom of config.rs, onion.rs, secp.rs, and server.rs.

2 Likes

Hi @scilio , can we have an update for informing the community ? We are curious and very excited about Coinswap ツ

3 Likes

so what happened to the coinswap implementation? Was anything of value created here or did scilio just pick up the easy parts first and ran a year later into the issue that the hard parts proofed to be impossible to solve for him?

The topic was not updated here on the forum, good that you bring it up since both @scilio and the CC forgot to post it here. The discussions were on KeyBase in the CC meetings and on github.

CoinSwap is going well actually. Milestone 1 & 2 were reviewed and approved. All that is left is milestone 3 and a part of the work for this milestone was already done for milestone 2.

5 Likes

Developments regularly took place in newsletters also, since May issue.

Github Tracking for Milestone #3.

6 Likes

Hey @scilio can we have an update or any comment, current situation of coinswap implementation for community ?

3 Likes

I didn’t mean to go dark on you all. I’m sorry for that. I will finish my remaining tasks this week.

13 Likes

Where is this up to?

At the 3rd final milestone, @scilio can give update.

@scilio made progress and is waiting for us to review it.

6 Likes

and this review is taking months why?

2 Likes

My reasons:

• it’s a big change that takes a lot of time to review
  • it’s summer (Grin is just one of the things I help in my free time)
  • I have plenty of other things to do
  • I had issues with my wallet and planned waiting for it to get fixed

It should be reviewed sooner, but the situation is what it is. I will get back to it next week. There’s not many people around that are willing to put in the work to review it and it’s really not that easy to test it right now (there’s still no wallet code for generating and sending swaps). The easiest way to speed things up is to help review the code. It’s open source and anyone can leave a comment or two. I will try get back to it next week.

6 Likes

Never forget that most people are just doing their contributions to Grin in their free time. It is not like we have a team of developers that is paid for coding and reviewing. Also apply the question to yourself, why am I not reviewing, testing or developing XYZ? :wink:
In case you are just curious @unknownus3r , better to ask it in a neutral tone like “Is there any news or progress on Reviewing XYZ?”

2 Likes