Obfs4 and Meek methods in Grin++

The Slatepack method naturally works flawlessly and I use it. However, I would like to use other possibilities as well. In particular, I have a little bit of stucked GRIN on a pool, receiving only the address. It is not critical for me to donate it to the pool, but there is a sporting interest in receiving them.

I did a check with another provider. In the Tor browser obs4proxy bridges work normally. I get new bridges because the built-in ones do not work by default (blocked). After that I try to apply these proven bridges in Grin++ but to no avail. I go back to the Tor browser, it works fine. Hence, new bridges are not blocked as quickly and should work in Grin++.

Perhaps us need to detail instructions for Grin++. The instructions contain several inaccuracies and inconsistencies that I saw, but maybe I’m doing something else wrong. This instruction was copied in different places without correction, which means it was only copied but not tested in operation.
https://github.com/GrinPlusPlus/GrinPlusPlus/issues/171

1. torrc is not an extension, but a filename without an extension.

2. Slashes in the folder path should be reverse. This does not play a role in the problem, but it should be noted.

3. It is unclear if the obfs4proxy client is built into Grin++ or you still need to manually add the exe file to the torrc folder. I added.

4. Then I add the line to torrc
    ClientTransportPlugin obfs4 exec obfs4proxy

The Meek method did not work for me in Grin++, most likely due to the fact that I incorrectly defined the torcc file. How will be correct?

As I can see from practice on the Tor browser, the Meek and Snowflake methods are now working reliably. The obfs4proxy method works badly in real (China, Russia). For me: on one provider it does not work even with new bridges, on another provider it works only with new bridges (built-in ones are blocked). It is theoretically correct to start your own node with a clean ip, and it will work well, but for practice, such a solution is troublesome, especially since there are alternatives that are simpler for an user.

I love the idea of Snowflake and keep a couple of snowflake nodes running all the time. It needs detailed (practical, not theoretical) instructions on how to use Meek and Snowflake methods in Grin++.

2 Likes