Development meeting held Sep 4 @ 3PM UTC in grin/dev on Gitter, full chat transcript here.
Grin Council attendance:
Agenda & Actions
1. General update
- A lot of fixes and small improvements over the past two weeks.
- Most visible possibly @garyyu fast sync speed improvements to make it faster, and new deployment file structure realised by @yeastplume.
- 1-day coinbase maturity will be coming in effect once we’re passed block 100,000, in roughly two weeks, and is our first voluntary soft fork.
2. Hard Forks & Testnet
- There are a lot of consensus-breaking changes lined up (PoW changes, libsecp256-zkp, and more). Handling them all as part of a Hard Fork (HF) will be messy and distracting, and it would be much more straight forward to simply deploy a Testnet 4 (T4).
- There is still a lot of value in practicing doing HFs, and it makes sense to do so before an eventual T4 as it reduces risk.
- There will be a T4 launched, replacing the existing T3. Target for launch ~ 4 weeks. Milestone has been added to Github.
- Prior to T4, there will be a practice HF on T3, with a simple cosmetic change: PR#1478. ETA within 1-2 weeks.
3. Other things of note
- Discussion on whether accommodating for FlyChain should happen prior to Mainnet.
- Dual PoW proposal still requires further work / thinking.
- DHT-style discovery protocol: Suggestions to explore using i2p or libp2p.
- Action on @lehnberg to convert any orphan bullets of “Functionality for Mainnet” doc into high level issues and retire the doc.
Feel free to raise suggestions / thoughts / comments and requests for future meeting agenda topics below!
Anyone reading this far: It’s time to step up to the plate on @yeastplume funding, goal is still far from being met.