This is a brief evaluation of this funding period as it draws to an end.
My own assessment
Noteworthy positive developments in this period that’s worth calling out (but I do not take sole credit for):
- Regaining admin access to the forum, migrating it to a new domain, and negotiating a 50% discount in rates.
- Obtaining grin.mw domain access and distributing credentials across core team
- 4.0.0 planning
- Security team bootstrapped
- Core team added a new team member.
The weekly progress update thread gives a play-by-play outline of my specific contributions in detail.
What went well?
- Everything in the scope of the funding request was carried out as intended.
- There’s been no missed deliveries or interruptions.
- The timeliness of the meeting notes have finally been improved to the point where I’m happy with it, usually publishing a few days following the meeting.
- We’ve started to think not only about next hard fork, but also about Grin after the last scheduled hard fork.
What could have been improved?
- The management of my personal grin/life balance I think deteriorated in this period, with a lot more time spent, and not enough to show as a result.
- There’s been a lot of, in hindsight, wasted time engaging in discussions with members of the community that have been unproductive. This has negative effects on the ability to do productive work during that day and ends up being really distracting. While the work tasked by the funding request didn’t suffer as a result, I don’t think it’s beneficial for the project, or for myself.
- I think I’ve had a misplaced need of defending a position. The point is not to attempt to silence the critics, haters gonna hate. The point is to identify what if anything in the feedback that can be used to improve, and then action it.
What have I learned?
- Don’t be this guy: https://xkcd.com/386/ Avoid wasting time in unproductive discussions. Focus on constructive, actionable, feedback and withstand the need to challenge or correct accusations.
- Spend more time on delivering productive improvements.
Feel free to raise feedback and/or suggestions in the thread below, or in private, my DMs are open.