Grin Logos for Community Consideration

@igno.peverell Pull request created at mimblewimble/site.

@lehnberg I’m no typographer, but if we’re talking a ‘Grin’ or ‘GRIN’ to go with the smiley face, I’d go for an extension of its curves and shapes—probably derived from the eyes. And because there’d be only four letters, I probably wouldn’t bend them around the face. That would allow ‘Grin’ to stand alone. But in general, I agree with your earlier comments and think that this logo really stands apart from the herd and fits grin’s disposition. It’s neither generic slick corporate linkedin power handshake bullshit or neo tech nth dimension geometry wanna be. It’s cooler than all that—its cypherpunk.

@0xb100d I used firefox’s eyedropper tool on your design and got #fef102, but I can change it. Look forward to seeing your lettering.

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but I had this thought also…

The sooner the community gets-togehter/elects a logo, the sooner there can be fund generating merch (T-shirts, stickers, etc.). I know I’d buy and proudly rock some grin gear to spread the word and help keep the gears of development oiled.

yep i’ve already worked with some screen printers and plan to produce some slick shirts and pins and stickers and what not and have revenue go toward development fund. looking forward to having a creepy smile shirt.

my fav, aptly titled ‘abomination’, has a courier g and comic sans rin…

yellow I have been using is #fbfb27

Anarcho-capitalism - Wikipedia

#FDFD00

SPILTER!

1 Like

@Askepios @0xb100d I made some logo comparisons, see below:

In general, I think this logo works really well, across board and in many different sizes and variations. Gives us a lot of flexibility. Since we’re talking about merchandise (I’ve been thinking about it as well btw, would both be cool and a nice little source of income for the dev fund!), it might make sense to ensure the yellow is print friendly and can be represented in the physical world well. Variation C above might possibly work better in that regards, but not sure I like it that much. I personally prefer a bit more “neon” in it (as A and B have). Or we could just say we’re ok that the logo will look different in web/digital and in print/physical, but I think that would be a missed opportunity to be consistent across board. Any thoughts?

if we’re talking a ‘Grin’ or ‘GRIN’ to go with the smiley face, I’d go for an extension of its curves and shapes—probably derived from the eyes.

I took a quick & dirty stab at a prototype of this, as below. Even if I absolutely suck at using the vector tool properly, and the letters I made stink, I think we could be on to something here. The G was derived from the mouth, the I from the M-eye and the N from the W-eye. With R being drawn up from the I.

Is there’s anyone who’s a bit better at free-form drawing, who would like to take a stab at making a version that actually looks good? :slight_smile:

fontExperiment

Also, for good measure, here are some variations with traditional fonts:

6 Likes

I like to the ‘eye’ based lettering. G neuds to be slimmer i think. What were you using to do the manipulation? Can try it out.

Awesome! Yeah, I’m not happy at all with my attempt, was just trying to inspire a direction. The G in particular looks crap. Have a go!

I used the vector tool as part of Sketch.

havent tried your lettering yet but did some wavy courier things

Wow! This is a really long history post :+1:

I’m looking the final logo design, but actually no finalized logo, am I right?

If so, let’s speed up this and finalize it :slight_smile: Please let me collect the options and set up a poll here…

1 Like

@gary while it’s not final (few things in life are), this is the version that is used for the time being: https://github.com/mimblewimble/site/blob/master/assets/images/logos/mw_smiley_face.svg

1 Like

Oh, not this one grin-explorer/logo_80x80.png at master · mimblewimble/grin-explorer · GitHub ? :wink:

And if finalized, we can start to use it everywhere :+1: Just want to be sure, all agreed that logo with ‘mw’ char?

Please let me collect some of known pictures at above into this poll, to have a simple global view for everyone. Thanks for all the great creators of these logo designs :+1:

No.1 no1

No.2 no2

No.3 no6

No.4 no7

No.5 no3

No.6 no4

No.7 no5

No.8

No.9 no9

Note: voting here is just for fun, the highest voting result could not mean that’s the finalized one to be the Grin logo!

updated at 19th Sep.: add No.8 for @0xb100d updated version, and add @a-ghost 's logo as No.9, thanks @monkyyy to point out this missed one.

• No.1
  • No.2
  • No.3
  • No.4
  • No.5
  • No.6
  • No.7

0 voters

Note: Once I edit the poll to add No.8 and No.9, it says "You cannot add or remove poll options after the first 5 minutes. Please contact a moderator if you need to edit a poll option.” will contact ‘moderator’ to do that.

You left out a-ghost which I still hold is 2nd best

The second in the poll has a more recent improved version.
(with variations)

and when you turn it sideways…

this one is still my favorite, though I think the MW-Eyed version (first in the poll) looks better in very small sizes.

3 Likes

a-ghost was very cool but too creepy to be the logo lol

You just what less competition

1 Like

l like #2. The sideways “GRIN” is fantastically clever. #1 would be my second choice.

EDIT: now I like #1 better.

1 Like

My idea here is that the middle block is partly gone.

4 Likes

You could also draw 3 separate blocks

__   __   __ 
/\_\ /\_\ /\_\
\/_/ \/_/ \/_/

And inscribe “G r i n” like

__   __   .
/ _  /      _ 
\ _/    /  / /
2 Likes