Grin Betting Platform Idea

I’d like to set up either a website or open source application for placing bets using grin as the currency for two peer-to-peer games like Rock Paper Scissors and guessing even or odd on a dice roll. I think it’d help generate some grin transactions beyond just withdrawing/depositing from exchanges or gifting a friend Grin. I can write the code myself, though I think legally this would be considered gambling and I’m from America where they’ll enforce the laws. I’m going to look into the laws and then get started on this app if the legal framework allows me to

6 Likes

Or in case the laws are too complicated, you may start some small board game for two players that winner can earn some points (which equivalent to x grin), then we can convert or withdraw Grin…

2 Likes

Possibly open source it on Github and someone can pick it up from there?
And you could run the testversion of it without real money involved.

2 Likes

Nice idea @mcm-mike! Using testnet coins would solve all issues for now since there is no value to them. Also, I think if the house would take no profit, it is not considered betting, or at least you are not chargeable, since the real facilitator is the blockchain. Imagine you use the Grin blocks to determine the outcome of a bet and users can directly check if their win or loss is true using a blockchain explorer. Basically, the blockchain is the one deciding, its transparent and non-profit.

Best to cap or fix the betting amount to something low and fun, e.g. 1 grin per bet.

Or just pay for a VPS with Monero that you only connect to via VPN and deploy anon or something…

1 Like

I’d be interested in helping if you build it in Python. Will be available as of March 2024

1 Like

I have very little coding experience and should’ve mentioned that in the post. I think it’s best to let someone else take this idea. I’ll still try to work on this as a learning experiment but I don’t expect to accomplish it

@God @navie Offered to help.
Perhaps he can work a Python script to interact with the wallet API, and you can try to make a front-end (website)? Only if you feel like doing it. In any case working together can make it more stimulating and of-course you can learn from one another and get feedback.

1 Like

@God and @navie, I am familiar with theory of gambling (and that includes betting). I have necessary theoretical knowledge to create such platform. Feel free to shoot me questions if you have any.

2 Likes

A betting platform made exclusively for Grin is an awesome idea! Another approach would be to reach platform owners and suggest to add Grin payments. For example Betplay [1] already supports LN, so they are tech-savvy. It is quite important to reach smart programmers. Note: I do not endorse any particular betting platform.

[1] https://betplay.io/en/

1 Like