Book Club: What book should everyone read at least once?

I would love to hear your suggestions on books that you personally have enjoyed reading!

All suggestions are welcome. To start, the last book I enjoyed reading was The Horse’s Mouth by Joyce Cary. 8/10 would recommend !

2 Likes

A Clockwork Orange.
Brave new world.
Don Quixote.
El coronel no tiene quien le escriba.
Cien años de soledad.

1 Like

80 days around the world.
The last of the Mohicans.
Dying of Money: Lessons of the Great German and American Inflations.
Will read 1493 Uncovering the New World Columbus Created.

1 Like

For no particular reason that I can place, Kurt Vonnegut’s Deadeye Dick is one of my favorite books I have ever read, maybe it’s that the cold way it treats life and death is existentially lightening.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

David Foster Wallace is straight candy, but you have to hook yourself on the short stories and get an appetite for it before attempting Infinite Jest.

2 Likes

Not a fan of books, I find reading harder than most people for whatever reason. My favorite one is “My inventions” by Nikola Tesla. I really like reading how others see/saw the world. In general I’m interested in this topic as I believe we’re more different than we seem e.g. even basic tasks like addition, reading, drawing which seem rather similar across people on the outside, but we likely perform a very different computation to output a result.

2 Likes

If I could only read one book in my life: The Hobbit

Other good/important reads, IMO:
Animal Farm
The Sovereign Individual
The Lord of The Rings trilogy

2 Likes

I recall liking Gulliver’s Travels and Fahrenheit 451. Mostly I like to do audiobooks these days though

1 Like

I saw a presentation on one of Tesla’s interests: the numbers 3, 6, and 9.

I can’t find the video I saw, but there are plenty of others that explain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnEWOYKgI4o

It is really incredibly fascinating.

Interesting. In his video he mostly uses the 360 degree system to display the magic of these numbers.
Quite interesting, this goes back to Babylonian society which derived the number from the 366 days the earth takes to circle the sun. They dropped the last six since it makes calculations so much easyer, devision of 360 with any number except 7 results in a whole number. See this:
https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-185569,00.html

Coincidently I had the same habit of 3, 9, 27 times repeating things like clicking my tong when I was 7-8 years. I force stopped myself since it was becomming a compulsive habbit.
Maybe it was a sign of geniousness😛

A lot of good suggestions, looks like I have some books to add to my summer reading list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Neat, I’ve never been one for reading autobiographies but from the discussion… I’m interested now.

If that’s the sort of material you enjoy, I’d like to also recommend Beyond Freedom and Dignity by Skinner… fascinating book on behavior written by one of the greatest psychologists.

1 Like