Bitcoin and Grin : A Rise from the Ashes @minexpert

Hello everyone. I just published “Bitcoin and Grin : A Rise from the Ashes”.
In this article, i tried to show;

• the main reasons why Bitcoin and Grin was created
  • Grin’s uniqueness
  • peculiarities of Bitcoin and Grin’s monetary policy

Social media link: https://twitter.com/madenuzmani/status/1517590831925977090?s=20&t=

8 Likes

Allow me to suggest a few small corrections:

Exactly 10 years and 6 days after Bitcoin surfaced, a new project named Grin emerged

That’s when its mainchain launched, but I think its “emergence” would be this initial commit on Oct 21, 2016: Initial import. · mimblewimble/grin@f73a308 · GitHub

it was quite inefficient at ensuring privacy.

Maybe ineffective describes it better?

Tom Elvis Jedosor , the secret creator

typo in last name

save about 2.5 times less data than Bitcoin.

You store x times less (while you save a fraction).

by adding decoy UXTOs to each UXTO set

it adds decoy inputs to each real input

Dogecoin which was Elon Musk’s shilling tool,

Dogecoin was started as a joke, Elon only arrived there years later.

1 Like

Thank you. I will fix it.

I really enjoyed reading, thanks for writing this!

I have some minor comments (feel free to ignore them)

who told the foundations of Grin’s consensus Mimblewimble.

MW isn’t a consensus, it’s a blockchain format/design.

I think Jedusor made a mistake in his whitepaper when calculating the chain size. At that time, the chain would be slightly larger than Bitcoin because the rangeproofs were quite bigger. I’d need to verify this though. With today’s rangeproofs, we are about 1/4 of Bitcoin size.

There’s a typo in Shiba Inu.

Are the yearly inflation numbers for Bitcoin correct? The first 4 years should be the same as Grin’s.

if the Grin sent to the wrong address, since the signature of the recipient’s wallet is needed, the Grins sent to the wrong address will not be lost because the signature will not be received.

This is confusing because there are no addresses on Grin/MW. The Tor address is an offchain way to transport a slate from one person to another. The reason why you can’t lose Grin is because the receiver explicitly accepts the coins in a transaction. Unlike on other chains, every Grin transaction has a “proof the receiver claimed the coins” or whatever we would call this.

I think the name letters part about the number 15 could be dropped.

Again, good job writing this, it’s great seeing energy put in the posts.

1 Like

each added decoy inpute

typo

I think it’s important to state that you can send to the wrong address in grin (ofc we are talking about the “contact” address, not btc-like address). I can always make a SRS where i accidently pick the wrong receiver. What you can’t do is send to an address not owned by anyone because nobody will respond to it (if it’s encrypted). To avoid sending to the wrong address we have the invoice flow and here’s why invoices are great. With standard flow you can make a mistake and put the wrong receiver, the receiver has incentive to not reveal the mistake and sign the transaction to receive the money. With invoice flow you can make a mistake and put the wrong sender, the sender (very likely) has no incentive to pay, so the tx won’t be completed.

1 Like

awesome article!

as content for a book, i think it could work. but as a standalone article, i think you could cut out half of the content. make it more to the point or on-topic.

1 Like

Great read,

Well written and interesting like your other article on the Peverell brothers.

1 Like

Thank you @oryhp and @vegycslol. I noticed the mistakes and fixed them.

It was just something unique to this article. The format of the book will be different and I will not add the story part. Instead of this Instead, there will be more detailed technical information.