Best GPU for mining Grin

I’m getting 6.0 gps using Beta 3, but having a few invalid shares for lowdiff. Was getting roughly the same on Beta 2, but never saw any invalid shares. Possibly they were also occurring just not reported?

Running totally stock at 74deg, 53% fan.

Do you mean 6.0 GPS on a 2080ti?

Duh, sorry, yes, I forgot that key info :slight_smile: Yes 5.98 gps after a few hours now on a 2080ti

How aboup Cuckatoo 31 performance for 2070?

Tromp, while I agree with you that 2080ti has the best Cuckatoo31+ GPU performance for now, I would argue the best mining card depends on your situation. The 2080 is fairly expensive and in short supply. So I would add:the following criteria

1. Unlimited Budget - get the 2080TI
  2. Best efficiency - unknown which is the best GPU at this point but this is where the AMD RX580/570 dominated Ethereum mining with highest hash/watt
  3. Quickest ROI - depends on price and card and price of Grin
  4. Budget constrained - depends on your budget
  5. Free or Low power rates - criteria would be based purely on graphs per purchase price

In any case, we will have to wait for information from the Grin community to evaluate and the price of Grin to stabilize. The point of my point is to highlight that there are other GPU’s capable of mining Cuckatoo31+ that may suit your needs better than the 2018 ti.

2 Likes

Meant to add there are 2 new 16GB GPU’s that have been recently announced that may fit some of the criteria I listed. These are:

1. Vega7 or Radeon7 16GB priced at $699
    https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-vii

2. Sapphire RX570 16GB unknown price but I would guess somewhere below $500
    https://medium.com/@philipwynnjones/https-medium-com-sapphiretechnology-why-gpu-mining-is-making-a-comeback-with-grin-7a85ecfef840

Hoping that we have more affordable options for Cuckatoo31 mining.

2 Likes

I tested ocl_cuckatoo (c31 lean miner) with my 16gb Vega Frontier Edition and got only 0.18 gps, which is poor compared to the numbers received by cuda miners

Unless a c31 opencl mean miner is developed for opencl gpus, it’s unlikely those new AMD cards will be worth mining on.

1 Like

it would be interesting to see, how the 16gb vega performs with more then 1 c31 lean worker
just add multiple plugin config with the same device id

[[mining.miner_plugin_config]]
plugin_name = “ocl_cuckatoo”
[mining.miner_plugin_config.parameters]
device = 0

device = 0

device = 0

device = 0

1 Like

You can do that? I know Vega cards perform best on cryptonight on two threads.

Is there a limit to the number of parallel workers you can load up on a single card?

1 Like

i did it on a “small” rx570 with 4gb vram (ocl_cuckatoo plugin). it works, but the sum of the hashrate of two workers is same as with 1 worker.

1 Like

Hi,
I am new here. I need to know if CPU can be used to mine grin. I have a few AMD 1950x.
Thank you!

1 Like

no, gpu mining was here from launch and your looking at many magnitudes improvement from the cpu->gpu->asic leeps as a rule

1 Like

I don’'t understand something…now is testnet or mainnet?
The Mainnet has been launch?

1 Like

yeah, its been about a week

1 Like

with 1950x in mwgrinpool i get 0.09gps but is a problem with the number of threads used…it shows me that are used only a few. why? how can i set the number of threads to 32 and 100%

1 Like

i would try both c29 and c31 CPU plugins from grin-miner.
the threadripper should support avx2 instructions, so uncomment the following lines from grin-miner.toml configuration file

for c29

plugin_name = “cuckaroo_cpu_avx2_29”
nthreads = 16

for c31

plugin_name = “cuckatoo_mean_cpu_avx2_31”
nthreads = 16

check the gps figures and then choose the algo to mine according to this calculator:
https://grin-pool.org/what-to-mine/

1 Like

@tromp what’s your estimation of new RX570 16gb possible performance vs 2080ti?

1 Like

hopefully half as good…

1 Like

" For cryptominers, the graphics card supports the recently launched Grin Coin, Cuckaroo 29+ and Cuckatoo 31+. Sapphire claims that its Sapphire RX 570 16GB HDMI Blockchain Graphics Card can deliver performance in the range of 0.42 GPS in Cuckatoo 31+"

According to this source it’s no better than a Vega 64. About 25% of a 2080ti.

1 Like

@wily.virus, for sure lean mining won’t be competitive with mean mining.

I’m going to guess that your Vega should be in the neighborhood of 1-1.2 gps in c31 mean mode based on memory bandwidth and engine performance. Optimized OCL drivers should be available soon.

1 Like