Are BTC --> GRIN atomic swaps like a 'privacy offramp' out of BTC?

I know maintaining privacy is an issue with bitcoin. I don’t know much about these atomic swaps but I’m wondering if grin could be a ‘privacy offramp’ out of bitcoin? If this is possible, it seems like a great way to get some privacy money (grin) without leaving a paper trail on an exchange.

1 Like

yep, it’s like a huge public mixer.

2 Likes

Holy shit! That’s f-ing cool. That just made the logo 10x better.

2 Likes

Grin is quite possibly the most punk rock thing since bitcoin. I love it!

3 Likes

Is that not the reason everyone is excited for it?

I mean I’m far more interested in LN swaps and having off chain mixing; but still, the point is scaling hard privacy means economical privacy for the rest of the ecosystem.

The devs going on about cashyness and fairness is just insanity, the value is in breaking identity chains cheaply so you can go back to the semi-anonymous ecosystem being built with full anonymity, and getting a clean slate every once in a while.

2 Likes

Might be the reason everyone else is excited about it, but I didn’t figure this out until today, so now I’m even more excited for it.

2 Likes

Is that not the reason everyone is excited for it?

The devs going on about cashyness and fairness is just insanity, the value is in breaking identity chains cheaply so you can go back to the semi-anonymous ecosystem being built with full anonymity

This sums it up for me. Very well put! This is exactly why I’m here in the first place.

2 Likes

Let’s take it one step further: can the BTC transaction potentially be a lightning network transaction, trustlessly swapping into an onchain grin transaction?

This article got me thinking that this might be possible: https://medium.com/muunwallet/a-closer-look-at-submarine-swaps-in-the-lightning-network-4417a2e8f93c

2 Likes

I’ve read the protocol documents, its extremely open ended, the LN should really be thought of as a robots negotiating and passing around nearly arbitrary smart contracts. They have this rather extreme “soft fork” ground work, that should enable new smart contracts quite easily.

1 Like

Let’s take it one step further: can the BTC transaction potentially be a lightning network transaction, trustlessly swapping into an onchain grin transaction?

That’s super cool. I think litecoin wanted to be the go-to sub swap to lower fees for closing channels. I hate to break it to the litecoin peeps but it looks like doing these swaps with grin instead of litecoin will be cheap and private. No wonder the litecoin folks have been looking into somehow implementing mimblewimble. I hope they try, or keep publicizing their intent, because it will probably get grin more attention (the attention I think it deserves).

I hope you’re doing well, have a good weekend, cheers.

1 Like

Grin will not be a replacement for anything on the LN.

If LN+mw smart contracts work, it opens up far more for script. Scriptless scripts are still jank compared to a designed programing lang and most of what is being learned can be applied across smart contract platforms.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to imply that it would be a replacement for anything, I was saying grin may be a better choice over litecoin for this specific application.

I read some stuff about closing l-btc channels over the litecoin blockchain to lower fees, I think it was through submarine swaps. What I’m saying is that if this were done with grin rather than litecoin you would get the added benefit of privacy. Which makes me think Charlie Lee’s talk about implementing mimble wimble to litecoin has more to do with securing the position as the go-to L-btc submarine swap channel closer coin. The thing is, grin may already better suited for this task, because submarine swaps with grin you already have the privacy component AND you get the fee reduction, and with litecoin you only get the fee reduction.

1 Like

So, in other words, a "Grin Atomic Mixer*