Yeastplume - Progress update thread - Oct to Dec 19

Update Friday, October 25th, 2019

Busy couple of weeks in Grin development land, personally had my head buried in code in the most anti-social fashion, but came up for air a bit to formally launch 2.1.0, which appears to be going okay for the most part! (Upgrade if you haven’t already!)

There is a surprisingly short amount of development time before 3.0.0 is due to be defined, code-frozen, tested and released, which helps gives some focus to the old task-prioritisation. My thoughts on what need to go into it are in the relevant grin-pm issue, and we’re due to discuss and freeze scope at the next development meeting. TOR support is 95% of the way there (as talked about plenty last week,) and payment proofs are still under definition and I hope we can get the definition and changes required to the slate out of the way over the coming week.

I’ve been working on the other, less glamorous task of attempting to modify how the wallet updates itself, which is important because I think it’s now possible for us to move to the ‘next level’ of wallet update, and get the core wallet to a state where it should never be necessary to run check_repair or restore because it will be done automagically as part of normal wallet update operations. The details of how the current check_repair process (probably should start calling this a less-scary sounding UTXO scan) should be integrated into the existing wallet update are still up in the air, and I’ve largely been experimenting with the code to see what works and what doesn’t. I’ll be updating the PR and the relevant grin-wallet issue with details on how I think this should now work, but it will likely involve storing the chain head on last update, checking whether it’s the same as what the chain has and if not scanning back a particular threshold’s worth of UTXOs backwards to ensure no outputs have been missed. Dealing with locked outputs and when to consider them free for use again without having to manually cancel is another issue to consider as well, and am thinking about adding a TTL to the transaction that wallets should honour… anyhow, will get this down more precisely over the next week.

Bank holiday weekend here… too many yeastlings in too close quarters for too long. Will be the ruin of civilization.

5 Likes