[SOLVED] Early disappointments

After just over 2 weeks of grin being live, I’m disappointed by the way the industry around Grin is shaping up. Of course it’s early, but I’d rather not this be an indication of future direction.

Grin was started with as fair of a launch as possible for what’s under our control. We did this for good reason: we believe in Grin’s mission. I think I made pretty clear that to continue forward, the project would still need help. And yet yeastplume’s campaign is still very far from being even 10% funded.

The lesson for every development or research team watching looks pretty clear: more scammy ICOs for more money and a lot less work. Perhaps forcefully taking 20% of all rewards is the only way to get any contribution out of the mining industry. Are those the conclusions you want to impress on everyone in this sector? Because if greed feeding on itself is the only lesson, then this space truly deserves a really long and hard winter. A lot more creation is needed to reach escape velocity, and that won’t happen if everyone’s goal is just feeding off it.

To be clear, this isn’t addressed to the existing community that has been extremely generous and admirable at supporting us over the last 2 years, when things were a lot more uncertain. This is directly addressed to some of the new funds, miners, mining pools and exchanges that have entered this ecosystem since the launch and benefited from it.

So please, forward this to those you think this message concerns. Perhaps a Chinese translation would be a good thing. Make everyone aware of our needs. We have a long way to go, this can certainly be fixed. And keep in mind that Grin will profit infinitely more from the contributions of a great developer like Yeastplume than from any single additional miner, exchange or fund.

38 Likes

That is all blockchain is; a loop of cyclical greed. We are locked into this.

In my opinion, nobody understands what Grin is. So we should aim to solve this because it will give Grin wings.

2 Likes

This is a difficult fight against the rational behavior of letting others foot the bill for community-funded development.

Logically, it would behoove the largest coin holders and miners of Grin to support the project. If Yeastplume funding fails, it could significantly damage the value of the investment.

3 Likes

I’m trying to PR about GRIN on FB by myself.

from yesterday, I pinned support devs in Grin, you can see this article.

Also all budget about this PR from my pocket.

so don’t be pessimistic. we need to time for GRIN settle in crypto market.

1 Like

Relayed your disappointment to https://beta.cent.co/+saul05 and it is being shared on Twitter as well.

Expecting the mining community to contribute to Grin’s development might be too hopeful, when at the moment they’re all fending off each other.

The road ahead will not be an easy one to traverse, but it will be worth it.

1 Like

There is no road to follow. Grin is on its own path. I agree with your sentiment.

2 Likes

I would also direct this to all the cheaters (which we had quite a number of at Grincon U.S.): investors buying developers tickets, thieves stealing other people’s badges to give to their friends, and people sneaking into the conference without paying…all knowing full well that the conference proceeds would go to the dev fund. It’s really shameful. It takes advantage of the many people who have donated their time and effort, as well as money in supporting the development of Grin.

Perhaps every time someone asks for support on Gitter (or other channel) - be it a miner asking how to do something, an exchange asking for Grin integration help, a fund asking for info in order to make an investment - should be made to contribute after being helped. Quid pro quo.

4 Likes

These are the good times. Next come the ASICS.

How does the cuckoo license play in. Does the wording mean all closed source miners need to share fees? @tromp

—-

FAIR MINING
Any derived miner that charges a developer fee for mining a fair coin
—one with no premine or other form of developer compensation—
shall offer to share half the fee revenue with the coin developers.

Via https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Here comes Chinese translation, good luck guys,may the magic be with us.

====================================

Grin上线才两个礼拜,我已经对围绕Grin生成的业态感到失望。现在失望当然为时尚早,我只希望这不会是未来的端倪。

Grin在我们的控制之下是以一个尽可能公平的方式启动的。我们这样做有充分的理由:我们相信Grin的使命。我以为已经表达得非常清楚了,为了继续推进这个项目,我们仍然需要帮助。我们全职开发人员yeastplume的筹薪活动至今才筹集到远低于计划10%的资金。

这对每一个开发或研究团队都是一个醒目的教训:再这样下去,拿大钱不做事的骗钱ICO项目会越来越多。也许强制收取20%的挖矿奖励是让挖矿产业为项目做出贡献的唯一办法。这是你们想要让所有人得出的结论吗?因为只要“贪婪自肥”是我们唯一能从中学到的东西,那么这个行业活该承受一个漫长而艰苦的寒冬。我们需要更多的大量的创新才能够达到足够的“逃逸速度”让我们逃离这个寒冬,而要是每个人的目标都是自己占够了便宜就跑,那这些创新就不可能会发生了。

我把话说清楚,这番话并不是对慷慨的令人敬佩的,从项目前途莫测的时候就开始支持我们长达两年多的老社区说的。我针对的是那些在我们正式上线后新近加入到我们生态中并以此牟利的基金、矿工、矿池和交易所。

所以我恳请大家,把我说的这些话传递给你认为会关心的人们。让每个人都知道我们需要帮助。我们还有很长的路要走,现在的问题肯定能克服。希望大家能记住,比起任何一个新增加的矿工、交易所或基金,像Yeastplume这样了不起的开发者的贡献才能让大家从Grin上获利更多。

7 Likes

Grin can only succeed when it attracts more developers and participants. Also the intentions of the team behind grin are not clear as of yet. In this uncertainty, people will not fund a newcomer project.

3 Likes

What do you mean our intentions aren’t clear? We’ve been at this for 2.5 years and haven’t deviated, I don’t know how to make them any clearer.

3 Likes

How much did grincon make for yeast @catnic ?

A amateur Chinese translation:

Grin剛上線兩週,但我對於Grin相關產業的成型有些失望。雖說還在早期階段,但我不希望未來會朝目前的跡象發展。

在我們還能掌控的初期,Grin是以盡可能公平的方式啟動。我們相信如此才是Grin的使命。我想我已表明了我們仍需各界幫忙以持續發展項目的請求,然而yeastplume的幕資宣傳(https://grin.mw/yeastplume)仍遠遠不及10%的完成度。

這個故事告訴了每個在關注的研發團隊:歪邪的ICO能夠拿到更多錢而且更省事。或許強制抽取20%的傭金是唯一能從挖礦產業獲取貢獻的方法。這會是你希望圈內人所得出的結論嗎?若礦圈只帶來無盡的貪婪,那或許漫漫寒冬也只是剛好而已。想將項目發射成功,需要的是更多的創造,若各位只求回報是無法達成的。

必須聲明,此處不是針對在風雨飄渺時支持我們長達兩年的社群,你們十分寬厚且值得尊敬。我們特別針對那些在項目發起就進場且從中獲利的基金,礦工,礦池以及交易所喊話。

所以在此拜託各位,轉發給那些此訊息所涉及到的人。或許有漢語翻譯會更好。讓各界知道我們的請求(https://grin.mw/yeastplume)。亡羊補牢,猶未晚矣,我們還有很長的路要走。另外請牢記在心,Grin的成長源自於更多優秀如Yeastplume的開發者,而非更多的礦工,更多的交易所,或是更多的基金。

Did you expect anything else? If anything I been thinking this launch has been rather smooth, the lack of proof of payment tools means otc is a place of fraud, that I haven’t found a way to bandaid. But this all went better then expected, beem launching first on a symbiotic day is definitely a move that could have lead the market astray; yet I don’t see that having an effect.

We’ve been at this for 2.5 years and haven’t deviated, I don’t know how to make them any clearer.

Is it possible that your in need of a mission statement that isn’t a one liner marketing bullshit :3

But rather a political document thats unambiguously states your mission that cuts thru all the shit talk

2 Likes

This is a much needed warning to miners. I’m sure the big miners will be happy to donate some of their proceeds.

I am willing to chat with you about this. I am not qualified, but I know enough. What is it that you are confused by? Let’s talk about these things because we need to know.

I agree that Grin is not easy to understand. If you are just looking at it as an investment. Let’s talk about it. Where are the areas of confusion for you?

I can understand your perspective. But from the outside it looks so much differend. Not saying thats your fault. Ask yourself: why there is only two pools beside the one you cooperated with? From my point of view, a couple of strategical mistakes have been made. PM for details.

/seb

btw.: that 2h drive from my home, anyone else? https://twitter.com/hashmap/status/1088003754346074112