PoW change for grin-miner

Hey all!

We’ve been supporting Grin and using grin-miner for our customers. I’m working on the preparation for the hardfork and was wondering when those changes will be added to the grin-miner repo. Are there any differences needed in the config file? I’d like to start working on this so that we can day-1 switch to the new PoW.

Thanks for all the help!

• Adam from Coinmine
2 Likes

The latest master of grin-miner has a cuckarood plugin that can be used post-HF.

Got it, so in the grin-miner.toml at the height of the fork change (height >= 262080)

plugin_name = "ocl_cuckaroo"

to

plugin_name = "ocl_cuckarood"

?

I don’t see a change to the opencl version in the grin-miner.toml, just the cuda one.

Correct; there is only a CUDA plugin for cuckarood in the reference miner.

Is there any way that we can get the opencl implementation on grin-miner? Is there anything that I can do to help?

I could update the grin-miner OpenCL part, but not the Rust cycle-finder. That is work of Hashmap. However note that the implementation is quite old. We are about to open-source very fast OpenCL miner tomorrow as a part of GrinGoldMiner - that one is around 60%+ faster compared to grin-miner. You can either use that (and disable fees/external connections) and adapt the sources to your liking (GPL3) or try to update the Rust cycle-finder / bribe Hashmap.