Moderation on the thread "core team and governance structure"

Yep, it mostly validates what @oryhp said above. Sadly.

it is not true what @oryhp say totally. You cant blame community with abusing,destructive behaviour.

Grin community is one of the most,modest and informative community i seen. But i wont say those for some members.

if you cant take some verbal attack from random guys,you stressed too much or cant answer communitys problem or look at them from high tower. Then you arent for the Grin project.

I can fully understand, that being on the receiving end of aggressiveness does not feel nice and think that it is in most situations not fair.

What I cannot understand is taking that as a reason to leave and I also donā€™t think that this is the reason for most departures that we are experiencing.

Because:

A) Every community has some aggressiveness, especially on the internet. It is probably not fair to classify some people as aggressive and others as non-aggressive, because most people are non-aggressive in some situations and aggressive in other situations, but letā€™s assume that some people are fully aggressive and other people are not aggressive at all. Letā€™s also assume that a fixed percentage of community members is aggressive. Say 2%. Then when the community grows, the number of aggressive people grows too.

B) You cannot just ban all aggressive people, because there is no way to fairly label people as aggressive if they did not engage in aggressive behavior yet. At least you have to wait until they broke some rule or overstepped some border. So there will always be some occasional aggressive behavior in a community, because it can only be sanctioned after it happened, not before. In a larger community such sanctioning has to be more frequent than in a smaller community.

C) Because of B) people who cannot deal with occasional aggressiveness will have a hard time to be in the center of attention in a larger community. I think the only things that help are 1) growing a thick skin, 2) having clear rules with consistent enforcement and 3) appreciating the fact that for 2% aggressive people there are 98% non-aggressive people, even though the aggressive people are the vocal minority that can dominate the discussion, which of course can be annoying. But thatā€™s why you have a thick skin, consistent enforcement and appreciate the fact that 98% of people are not aggressive.

I am a moderator in a community that is quite a bit larger than this one and I went from banning no people at all to banning multiple people per week as the community grew 30x over multiple years. My first bans were a huge moral dilemma for me, but now I donā€™t give a lot of fucks anymore, because in most cases it is totally clear that people were just not respecting boundaries. Also, the most aggressive people have the tendency to react even more aggressive to a ban. This is something that can be expected and it is possible to learn not to be bothered by that. The bans usually are for things that are worse than everything that I have seen in this community. I actually would describe this community as very calm and respectful!

Also, I only ban people temporarily in most cases. In my experience, most aggressive people have been tamed after at most 3 bans. If not, there is still the option of permanent bans, but it is very easy to circumvent that and I like the idea that people can be re-socialized if they havenā€™t murdered someone. In most cases these people are not inherently trolls, but had just a poor understanding of community culture or they were a bit too passionate over a certain topic.

tl;dr: Donā€™t take occasional flames personal, because they have to be expected. Deal with them in a calm and consistent way. Donā€™t demonize people over a heated argument and allow them to re-socialize, because they are usually not really evil. Also, donā€™t generalize over the entire community, because 98% of people are just genuinely curious and these people should not be forgotten, because of some emotional arguments.

1 Like

I think a better community handling would be that nobody should take shit from other people. If people canā€™t behave nicely then they should be excluded from the community. Ofc that doesnā€™t mean that after a person does something bad we should perma ban them, but they should apologize or at least not repeat such behaviour many times. Therefore Iā€™m completely against the ā€œfreedom of speechā€ rule in some organized community, where people think that ā€œfreedomā€ means they can do whatever they want, even if it hurts other people. Freedom must have its limitations otherwise one could just kill everyone else

1 Like

Yes, ā€œfreedom of speechā€ needs to be limited where it affects other peopleā€™s freedoms in an unfair way. In most cases there are ways to express an opinion without attacking people personally. If people donā€™t know how to do that, they need to be sanctioned until they know how to respect certain boundaries.

2 Likes

So sad to see the community splitting in different point of views. Hope everyone calm down and contribute a hand, otherwise we might not have popularity like beam.

What kind of popularity can we talk about? I am here to get a lot of money and anonymity. If we coped well with the second part, then the first part is lame. How much will a smirk cost in 2025? 10-20 $? Yes, you are laughing. No, seriously, this is hollow shit. I am 1998, I found bitcoin when I was still a small age and bought a game for it. What can I buy with Grin? So much time has passed, and we are standing still ā€¦ we are not moving. Nobody needs it to hell. There is no profit here, only losses. I give another 2 years to Grin. Today I stop investing in the project and become a holder. This is the fault of the pricing policy.

I will continue to support Grin. However, you can forget about financing. Developers donā€™t work well. Long and boring. If they worked the way they work with projects for which they are paid money, then we would have become a top 50 project long ago. Now in the ass. Thanks to the laziness of the developers. Yes, I will hate developers. Because your rivals have done several times more in a year than you. I also want to thank the people supporting Grin. You are really great, if not for you, the project died long ago. Consider ZeroCool, which has created the best PR for Grin in its small town. Moreover, you were thrown off 50 btc. This is the same if I threw you 1/10 of my amount. Are you laughing? Is 50 btc not enough to make a project better than Monero?

@igno.peverell is dissatisfied with the work, you may know this. He believed that he gave the project to people who could make a replacement for bitcoin out of it. Not a fork of Ripple.

Why so serious son! :smiley:

We need to work harder! I work 10 hours a day. I do my job perfectly because I am interested in making a profit and creating something new. Do you understand what Iā€™m getting at?

Who is ā€œweā€ here? What have you done for Grin? If you want to see Grin succeed, I suggest you first start making some contributions yourself.

4 Likes

He seems to be very upset about how things turned out. It is obvious that the journey of this project did not go the path everyone wished for. However since Grins start was fair and since its monetary policy is fair and since its inflation will decrease over time still maintaining a perfect emission rate (1 grin per second) that is likely to keep the blockchain secure, i donā€™t see any reason why Grin would not thrive in the future.
To put it in other words: Since its open source, original and fair it will be very hard to completely kill this project.
Its for a reason the website grin.mw advertises it with:

Designed for the decades to come, not just for tomorrow.

These attributes are likely to lure devs in who want to contribute to make a difference.
Also it should be no surprise that the development did slow down a bit since with v5 Grin is kind of feature-complete as i understand it.

That is a bit playing ā€˜ā€˜Polyannaā€™ā€™ where is that so called devs will come always mentioned? its same broken record,there are too many projects,developers are choosers.

%80 Current ones almost left.

Here a dev started creating python-based grin implementation and building a much needed payment processor for grin just some days ago:

End of March this year another dev started working on a Grin ledger hardware wallet:

Another Dev works on Atomic Swaps since Beginning of April this year:

Also - maybe - One-Time Slatepack Addresses will get some love soon, i hope we can figure it out to get things going here:

This is hell of a lot progress for a coin that did perform so badly price-vice. Especially when you compare it to much bigger coins - Litecoin comes to mind here (which latest and only improvement since some years also comes from a grin-dev).

The ā€œbeing-fairā€ attribute of Grin is what will keep it afloat. The current projects are proof of it. Lets hope we can get David back on track to do work on the one-time-slatepack thingy. Privacy-vice it sounds really nice.

6 Likes

Working on the RFC, any and all feedback is welcome :smiley: !

2 Likes