How to store GRIN in cold storage?

Maybe, but maybe not. If you keep buying new flash drives you increase the probability of buying one that is made by NSA. :wink:

Wallet713 has nothing to do with cold storage, in fact. All it does is to use Grinbox to send the (encrypted) transaction slates to a relay server instead of directly to the other party so that you both do not have to be online at the same time.

I have crytosteel, blockplate and crypto key stack (drummel engraved). Crypto key stack is by far the cheapest and smallest. Engraving is a bitch though. If money and space is of no concern, cryptosteel is my favorite, but I can’t justify buying the number i want.

But I agree with you on the legit usable cold storage. I’m sure it will be addressed over time. For long-term storage, a temporary hot wallet isn’t that bad of an option. However, you’re anti hardware solutions so you would require addresses… Sure you could create a long list of addresses associated with a wallet, but in general addresses promote the reuse of addresses and reduce anonymity. You’d have to store your list of addresses behind an airgap as well and we’re inching closer to tinfoil hat territory. Would your airgapped solution have any wireless communication chips onboard? Because then you’ll be susceptible to proximity attacks, lol. But I’m with you on more cold storage support

1 Like

Do you need a fully sync’d node to sign the tx slate? If not then this is the solution

I don’t think you need the blockchain if you keep track of your UTXOs.

I don’t get why you think cold storage is harder with GRIN than it is with other cryptos. I find it pretty convenient.

You can hardly be any better than this, where’s the problem?
Maybe with Bitcoin and Monero you can receive with a totally air-gapped machine, but at some point you may want to check the balance or spend coins. So data needs to be transfered.

Mount a flash drive read-only, or, if it’s 1000% critical, use a CD/DVD burner.

Legit concern. A lot can go wrong. Air-gapped machines are not a bad solution.

1 Like

I think you underestimate the difference in risk between a totally air-gapped private key and one that has to reside on a machine that keeps being in contact with flash drives. Even if flash drives were theoretically negligably risky (which may or may not be the case), the difference in effort needed for flash drive air-gaps is a large deterrent for most people (not to mention the risk of accidentally exposing your air-gapped machine).

For this type of cold storage, people would generally not be in need of checking the balance or spending coins. It is analogous to that of a bank safe rather than a savings account.

1 Like

“Totally air-gapped” is a useless setup. That’s not cold storage, that’s more like a coin grave. Depending on the balance we are talking about, it might be necessary to secure the data channel, that’s right. To do that, any kind of custom solution is probably fine, because it’s impossible to write an exploit for such an unknown data channel. For additional security, the data channel could be very slow or running on very limited hardware. So, yes, perfectly secure air-gapped machines require some kind of sand box or firewall when flash drives are connected.

For use cases like sending coins to an account where the private key is stored somewhere in a bank safe, MW is the wrong crypto currency tech in the first place. It cannot work, AFAIK.

1 Like

So not a useless setup after all, eh?

1 Like