#grin2020 Roadmap - calling for blog posts with ideas

tl;dr

The Grin developers are putting together a roadmap for the next year. You can take part in shaping its direction by sharing your thoughts in writing. The process looks like this:

1. Members of the Grin community write about what they’d like to see in Grin’s development during the course of 2020 by November 10;
  2. The core team reads these and considers them as it puts together a roadmap RFC proposal;
  3. The proposal is presented and discussed at grincon1;
  4. There’s discussion, iteration, and eventual acceptance according to the usual process;
  5. This RFC then guides the work and improvements that become prioritized in 2020.

Share your vision for 2020

Write a blog post

From today and until November 10 you have a chance to write about what you think the roadmap should contain. You can use whichever online writing method preffered, as long as it’s public and visible to others, for example:

• a post on this forum;
  • a github gist; or
  • a blog post.

Covering any Grin topic

We’re asking for ideas and suggestions in a wide set of areas:

• Node or wallet features;
  • Documenation improvements;
  • Tooling suggestions;
  • Governance iterations;
  • Ecosystem activities;
  • Community ideas; or
  • Anything else Grin related you’d like to happen in 2020.

Motivate your suggestions, and try to share holistic proposals that can act as “stretch goals” for the community to pursue.

And share it with the community

• Link to it in thread here on the forum; or
  • Tweet it with the hashtag #grin2020; or
  • Email daniel.lehnberg@protonmail.com;

We look forward to working with the community to set an agenda for the next year. Thanks for what’s been a great launch year thus far!

Credits

This process borrows heavily from the 2019 Rust Language roadmap process.

15 Likes

I would like to see the Grin team push for and focus heavily on atomic swap protocols between BTC, ETH, GRIN, etc. With a clear atomic swap standard, any coin wallet would be able to implement the protocol enabling currency swaps without an exchange.

After such a standard in place, the industry would be enabled to develop order book relay networks and historical price data. The idea is to allow for an industry of applications acting as communication middlemen for exchange bids/asks.

The end goal is to enable any wallet (whether single-coin or multi-coin) to access an open network of exchange data and a protocol for swapping between assets that the wallet supports. The hope is that such an open network wouldn’t not suffer as great of regulatory scrutiny as a company-backed exchange.

My =)2

9 Likes

I’ll love to see the Lightning Network implemented on top of Grin.

3 Likes

Historically, there’s been no roadmap. Why the sudden change?

3 Likes

1.there is a problem to withdraw from exchanges via HTTPS, it is drives the price down , because much easy to sell , than to buy!
2.the community need something like atomic swap - grin/btc grin/eth grin/monero - directly, not on exchanges, no kyc, 100% anonymously. ready to participate in some projects like this with promo and financing.

5 Likes

hello good morning, this is my first message in the forum and I would like first of all to give a big greeting to the whole community, I have been encouraged to register to see that you have decided to propose an open roadmap and I also want to contribute my granite of sand.

My idea is something that I have in mind since the first day I bought GRIN, and in my opinion the logo does not generate much confidence in the investor and does not honor all the work and technology behind this currency.

My idea would be to make a contest for the community to present prototypes of logos for the currency and for voting by the community to decide among all and even keep the one that already exists, Ripple already made a contest in its day and the current logo is the winner said contest, it would be something entertaining for the community seeing the creativity that is in it and on the other hand it would improve the image of the coin, something very important today.

I am sorry if something is not understood, I am with the Google translator because my native language is Spanish, greetings and thanks.

1 Like

Historically, there’s been no roadmap. Why the sudden change?

The priority for this year was: “launch”

We’d like to see if we can come up with some priorities that we think make sense to focus on in the next year.

1 Like

create collaboration with pokerstars and use grin as chips. the idea looks crazy, but I would play every day

1 Like

I agree that current exchange adoption is poor and which is causing poor price performance for early investors and participants. Over-time this should change, but I’d like to see more team and community efforts in this area.

First idea would be to do PR for exchanges and overall awareness of the coin. A lot of voices in the crypto community (youtubers etc) don’t know about Grin. More awareness of the project and how it works, what it does, and general positive arguments could lead to community pushing exchange actors to listing.

Second idea is developing a decentralizable solution to the exchange problem with atomic swaps. Ultimately, the ideal solution, but much more of a hard problem to solve. I’d like to see a open source exchange that uses atomic swaps as it’s means for filling orders. Much like https://swap.online but with historical price data, charts, and order book data.

4 Likes

Grin developers are very skilled and smart, and have done some great work already.

For 2020 I would see:

• remove all tx buildings except TOR and file tx (Https and http into bin asap)
  • Start work for usable full node on phone (game changer)
  • atomic swap GUI
  • All what improves user experience. After TOR which is great and also improves privacy, I guess the next step is investigating BLS and non-interactive transactions further (some great works have been already proposed on that front in some papers).
  • Continue looking at techniques helping obfuscate tx graph (dandelion iterations, zero-knowledge cryptography to unlink TXO,…)
10 Likes

I like your list!

Good point here. Removing HTTP as an option would push exchanges to drop support for HTTP.

Is this a plausible idea? As far as I know, the limitations on mobile is hard disk space and network connectivity. Even though grin is lean when it comes to storing the chain (with max pruning), we’re still talking about a large dataset to run a full node. Over time, this will become increasingly a issue. Unless I’m mistaken on the storage aspect; please enlighten me. Then, network connectivity can become an issue as mobile devices maintain limited connectivity when asleep. Background processes would be limited, and syncing would need to be done while app is in use. This could lead to a bad user experience.

1 Like

I’m surprised this hasn’t been a focus yet( Even for Beam). The beauty of MW is that it adds fungibility + scales better in terms of IBD/ chain size.

The whole premise around Bitcoin keeping the 1mb block size was to reduce chain size so that more users can run full nodes( some argue it’s still too big and needs to be reduced further) So most users can easily run their own full node( that’s not run on a VPS). Smaller blocks= more nodes= a more decentralized network. Grin’s scalability in terms of IBD/chain size could be an order of magnitude better than Bitcoin, so what better way to showcase this than by enabling the layman user to run their own full node on a mobile device? If anyone can think of a better way then please let me know.

The classic storage argument is a moot point these days. considering the size of Grin’s chain and also considering that even budget smartphones now ship with 64-128gb of storage( high end anywhere from 128-512gb). Smartphone CPUs are certainly powerful enough(high-end smartphones have better chips than most laptops). Data is getting cheaper- Many in western nations will have uncapped data plans. Elon is about to launch is a global satellite internet, so there’ll be no excuse soon. The only argument that stands up is battery drain, however, I’ve not seen anyone estimate how much of an issue this might be on a purpose-built ARM node. How efficient could it get? Even if it was a major issue, there could be an option to toggle on/off so your node wasn’t always running in the background( Ivan from Iron Belly has suggested this). Seems like the only reason this hasn’t happened already is that no one can afford to invest enough of their time to develop it.

If Grin is going to be digital cash, then people will want to spend their “digital cash” using their digital wallet, aka their smartphone. So if the core team is going to get involved with a GUI wallet/ or funding is going to be allocated for wallet development, then IMO a mobile wallet should be the main focus. Having the ability to spend Grin is what will create value and being able to do this in a trust minimized way via a smartphone seems like a good way to help facilitate this.

4 Likes

HTTP is the thing I’m really impressive in Grin from the beginning, I think it should stay.

Agree, years ago, I imagined this function should be in everybody smartphone

[quote=“Kurt, post:12, topic:6327”]

1 Like

I’m not sure a full node on a phone scales. It might at the beginning but as soon as we get more chain activity it probably won’t for most users.
I think TOR only sounds interesting.

My list of thoughts is similar to Kurt’s:

• Research/implement i2p for node communication
  • Improve dandelion logic to achieve more aggregation before the fluff phase
  • Hire a cryptographer to research BLS tradeoffs and possibly check if some form of scripts are possible with it
  • Research if there’s any sensible way to incentivize utxos merge to have them as little as possible
  • If a full node can scale on a mobile phone for many years to come start work on that, otherwise, research light client options
3 Likes

The logo is perfect. Changing it now would be crazy.

5 Likes

If we want to gain more users, installation and transacting should be super easy. There should be only one file needed to download and only one executable to be run to get wallet up and running. Tor should be either included and working out of the box or installed with one click installer.

Windows users expect single launcher in explorer to launch a working wallet UI. There should be either TUI for wallet instead of the current command line solution, or even better, a real UI built with proper UI framework.

3 Likes

First I want to say that I love this project and the development team behind it! Great job so far guys!

I will be short:
The one thing that I want to see in 2020 is user friendly transactions and wallets. Please no more command lines in 2020 where the 98% of the average user will get confused.

Just my 2 Grin

3 Likes

There are several non-CLI wallets already available.

1 Like

手机钱包还是尽快出来吧,这样会使用方便。但是千万别用全节点