Difficulty level rising fast

Hey, the diff is rising fast. Instead of 0,8 a day, it’s only 0,5 grin a day… at this pace I better stop… any advice?

1 Like

welcome in mining world

1 Like

Increased graphics or every day is less and less.
The price will increase and will come to the same.

Can anyone explain why there is sudden increase in hash rate and difficulty since Aug 3
unknown pool has 27.5% of hash rate. Sparkpool had around 425 KGps until 2 Aug has increased upto 220KGps and now 635KGps why ?

The sudden > 50% rise in C29 graph rate in a few hours on Aug 3 is something of a mystery. It was accompanied by a smaller rise in C31 graph rate as well. Several hypotheses were raised:

1. Huge GPU farm with on the order of 100K GPUs starts mining Grin.

We don’t see a compensating drop of hashpower on any other major GPU mined coin though. So it would have to be a new farm setup for Grin specifically (what some call Special Purpose Vehicle or SPV). But building out a farm of such scale takes many weeks, so you’d expect a very gradual rise of graphrate.

1. A huge GPU miner optimization.

The sudden-ness of the increase could be explained by a huge farm deploying much more efficient GPU miner software. In this case we could only hope that other miner developers discover the optimization as well and make it more widely available.

1. FPGA miners.

FPGAs with 4GB+ of high bandwidth memory are rather expensive and would likely not be that much faster than high-end GPUs. You’d still need several tens of thousands of them.

1. ASICs.

I think C29 ASICs are simply out of the question, as the PoW tweaks were not decided upon until May. Even the C31 ASICs whose design started last year are not available yet. And C31 ASICs have a much larger advantage over GPUs than C29 ASICs could have.

7 Likes

Well and right answered thank you for your reply. But this has dropped the rewards to nearly 45% lesser and at current price it is loss to mine

1 Like

Maybe whomever did this was trying to send a signal. I remember this clip (https://youtu.be/9ausPKEMVk0) :joy:. The sudden increase in hashrate is bothersome. Even more so that spark accounts for almost majority of hashrate. Wonder if this was raised in the security audit? What can be done to keep the community safe from a hostile takeover in the future? What safeguards have been put in place? Should the council start taking serious measures to explain to people in simple terms how to mine grin? Should the council have taken active measures to increase grin awareness and adoption instead of taking a nonchalant approach to marketing? I hope this unexplained incident finally gets the council moving in terms of involving a wider audience.

Yes council should take measures to save all those small miners who have been supporting Grin from long time

1 Like

The integrity of the whole system is literally the most important thing regarding a coin. With the recent event, it’s obvious that major defects where either not identified in time or identified with no action taken. Either way, this risk has been exposed.

My recommendation remains the same as always: Seriously tackle grins lacking awareness and adoption issues. This should not only be done by the community but instead lead by the council because although some marketing may slightly taint the decentralization of the project. It is far far far better than a Rouge unknow source who has taken over.

Should the council remain non-engaged in listing and marketing, will only give rise to the latter which is ironically the option which puts every member of the community at extreme almost 100% risk. Depending on the actions taken, the council will make clear their position in terms of support/care of the community or lack.

I know I come across as an @$$hole but someone has to say it

I don’t think this is necessarily the only conclusion here.

We should definitely watch out for those Rouge unknown sources though.

1 Like

I don’t blame @tromp one single bit. In fact, I think he is a genius.

Grin does great in code, a 10/10, but it scores poorly in awareness and adoption and that can mess up the whole project. Focusing on one aspect is great but one shouldn’t neglect the others. This is true for humans too with this whole mind/body/soul approach/thingy. ‘Jack of all trades, master of none’

GPU mining is now negative due to the sudden difficulty increment. but don’t forget to HODL

1 Like

People say it’s because of VOLLAR (VDS) reward decreased 8 times on Aug 3, and most of its miners (GPU ones) have switched to other coins. Many coins suffered difficulty increase on that day, GRIN included.

VOLLAR lost about 70,000 1080Tis worth of hashrate evening Aug 2 / morning Aug 3. GRIN gained 115,000 1080Tis worth of hashrate. It could be a contributing factor.

3 Likes

Given this is looks to be the new norm…

Can other folks running 1080Tis give me a sense of whether you are profitable or not?

At this difficulty level and price point, my 6 GPU rig (1080Tis) is now in the red and I want to know if I am an outlier or not.

The mining software I use is gminer. Any other suggestions for miner with 1080Tis?

Regards,
Halo.

1 Like

buy a miner sir, save the energy and time

Kind of shocking that such a questionable project (see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5101600.msg49622629#msg49622629; read the whitepaper and weep) can acquire so much hashpower in the first place…

1 Like

Yes. That was my thought as well. Seems to be unknown outside of China/Asia. All mining pools are Chinese. Only miner that supports it really is GMiner.

f344929cbaf1caa2bc7b5530666aeb67

I don’t know how accurate is this graph, but It seems Grin hashrate started climbing right after the hard fork. Is it possible that somebody is exploiting the new algo with a very efficient miner? And why “they” didn’t exploit the older algo like that?

Is it possible that the new algo is somehow compromised?

P.S. I fully trust and admire the dev team behind GRIN. I just find it odd, that the hashrate should actually go down after the fork and not go up like that.

Just my 2 GRIN.

1 Like

That graph is very inaccurate. See

https://grin.report/d/xoo9N43iz/chain?orgId=1&from=now-30d&to=now

for an accurate one. You can see a clear drop in C29 hashrate on the HardFork date of Jul 18, that recovered in 2 days. The climb happened weeks later.

4 Likes